La Trobe University – Zhejiang A&F University Collaborative PhD scholarship
AUD per annum for up to one year while in Australia, and 28,800 RMB per annum while in China, total stipend length three and a half years, plus additional support for fee relief, accommodation and travel costs.
Who is it for?
Future graduate researchers, Future PhD candidates, Graduate researchers
Where is it available?
How is it paid?
Scholarships awarded to outstanding candidates with the aim of furthering knowledge in the areas of agriculture and forestry.These prestigious scholarships, established by La Trobe University in collaboration with Zhejiang Agriculture and Forestry University (ZAFU), will be awarded to up to three outstanding students from China to undertake a PhD at La Trobe University in a field of research related to agriculture or forestry. Students should have a background in one or more of the following areas: botany, genetics, bio/chemistry, molecular biology, bioinformatics and/or ‘omics technologies.
Scholarship recipients will undertake a research project at La Trobe University in collaboration with ZAFU in China. Candidates will spend most of their time at ZAFU with up to a year in residence at La Trobe University in Melbourne. At the end of the project you will graduate with a PhD from La Trobe University.
Project descriptions are available on our ZAFU research projects page.
Benefits of the scholarship
- A stipend for up to 3.5 years of 2400RMB/month, along with free accommodation and subsidised dining, while based at Zhejiang A&F University.
- A top-up to your scholarship, so you will receive a total stipend of AUD $28,092 [2020 rate] per annum, for up to one year to support your living costs in Australia.
- A tuition fee-relief scholarship (LTUFFRS) for 4 years to undertake a PhD at La Trobe University.
- A return airfare between China and Melbourne.
- Spend up to one year of your PhD project based at a La Trobe University campus in Australia.
- Work with outstanding researchers from La Trobe and ZAFU and have access to La Trobe’s suite of professional development programs in areas such as entrepreneurship, IP and commercialisation, university teaching and social media training.
Are you eligible to apply?
To be eligible to apply for this scholarship, applicants must:
- a Masters by research degree in a relevant discipline completed within the last ten years assessed at a La Trobe Masters by research standard of 75 or above;
- an Honours degree, Masters by coursework or ungraded Masters by research degree completed within the last ten years where you achieved a weighted average mark of 70 or above across any coursework subjects;
any of the following assessed at a La Trobe Masters by research standard of 75 or above:
- a research thesis of approximately 15,000-20,000 words; or
- the degree includes a written research component comprising at least 3/8 of one year; or
- you are the lead author of a peer-reviewed publication or other research published within the last ten years
- As an international applicant, you will also need to provide evidence that you meet the minimum English language requirements
How to applyTo express your interest in applying for a La Trobe-ZAFU PhD Scholarship, please provide the following information:
- CV in English (and Chinese if desired) – maximum 2 (A4) pages
- Academic transcripts (undergraduate & Masters results)
- 350 word (maximum) personal statement in English explaining your research interests and careers aspirations
- An indication of which project(s) you would like to apply for (project information available here)
The Expression of Interest for this scholarship round closed on 28/08/20, however, full applications will be accepted until 30/09/20.
Who to contact for further information
Graduate Research School, firstname.lastname@example.org