La Trobe University – Sheffield Hallam University Joint PhD Program Scholarships
Per annum, for three and a half years. Fee relief additional.
Who is it for?
Future graduate researchers, Future PhD candidates
Where is it available?
How is it paid?
La Trobe University is offering up to three graduateresearch scholarships for students to undertake a joint PhD with SheffieldHallam University, UK.
Applications for this scholarship are now open to Australianor New Zealand citizens or Australian permanent residents. The applicationdeadline is 31 October 2020.
Students undertaking the joint PhD program will be enrolled ina PhD at both institutions. Your supervisory team will comprise of academicstaff from both institutions who will provide support and guidance throughoutyour research. As a student enrolled at both La Trobe and Sheffield Hallam, youwill have access to services and support provided by both institutions,including a range of professional and personal development programs.
You will begin your studies at La Trobe University where youwill spend the majority of your time, but with an expectation that you willspend typically 12 months at Sheffield Hallam University. Travel to and studyat the host institution will be subject to the usual immigration requirements.
The joint PhD includes a tailored program of progressmonitoring to fulfil the requirements of both institutions. All candidates willwrite and submit a thesis for defence by oral examination. On successful completionof the program requirements, you will be awarded a PhD jointly by bothinstitutions.
Successful applicants must be available to commence theirdegree between 1 February and 30 June, 2021, at a La Trobe University campus,and willing to spend typically 12 months based in Sheffield, UK.
There are five joint PhD projects available to applicants,listed below. Up to three scholarships are available, competitively awarded andselection is based on academic merit and suitability to the selected project.Please contact the lead supervisor for more information about these projects.
Scholarships for a range of different projects in the sameprogram are also being offered by Sheffield Hallam University; furtherinformation on these scholarships is available through the Sheffield Hallam Doctoral Programmes and Projects page.
For a list of available projects, please refer to the La Trobe University – Sheffield Hallam University projects page.
Benefits of the scholarship
- a stipend for up to three and a half (3.5) years, with a value of $28,092 per annum (2020 rate)
- a Research Training Program - Fees Offset scholarship covering tuition fees for up to four (4) years.
- a travel allowance to assist with travel between Melbourne and Sheffield and personal expenses while resident in the UK
- Relocation allowance and publication/thesis allowance or RTP allowance
- opportunities to work with outstanding researchers at La Trobe and Sheffield Hallam universities, and have access to our suite of professional development programs
Are you eligible to apply?
To be eligible to apply for this scholarship, applicants must:
- meet the Doctor of Philosophy entrance requirements
- not be receiving another scholarship greater than 75 per cent of the stipend rate for the same purpose
- be an Australian or New Zealand citizen or Australian permanent resident.
In selecting successful applicants, we prioritise applications from candidates who:
- will be enrolled full-time
- have completed a Masters by Research or other significant body of research, such as an honours research thesis or lead authorship of a peer-reviewed publication, assessed at a La Trobe Masters by research standard of 75 or above
How to apply
Applicants should follow the following steps to apply to La Trobe University. Selected applicants will then be invited to subsequently apply for admission into the PhD program at Sheffield Hallam University.
- review the scholarship eligibility requirements above
- review details on how to apply for candidature
- select a project from the list of available projects
- contact the nominated contact person for your preferred project via the email address listed under the relevant project details to obtain their in-principle agreement for you to apply
- complete a Research Statement Form for your nominated project (only one project can be nominated)
- complete your application for admission into La Trobe’s PhD program
- a research proposal is not required
- submit your application to the La Trobe Graduate Research School (email@example.com) by 31 October 2020
Who to contact for further information
Graduate Research School, firstname.lastname@example.org