La Trobe University – Sheffield Hallam University Joint PhD Program Scholarships
Per annum, for three and a half years. Fee relief additional.
Who is it for?
Future PhD candidates, Australian Citizen, New Zealand Citizen, Permanent Resident
Where is it available?
How is it paid?
La Trobe University is offering a graduate research scholarship for a student to undertake a joint PhD with Sheffield Hallam University, UK.
Applications for this scholarship are now open to Australian or New Zealand citizens or Australian permanent residents. The application deadline is 30 April 2021.
Students undertaking the joint PhD program will be enrolled in a PhD at both institutions. Your supervisory team will comprise of academic staff from both institutions who will provide support and guidance throughout your research. As a student enrolled at both La Trobe and Sheffield Hallam, you will have access to services and support provided by both institutions,including a range of professional and personal development programs.
You will begin your studies at La Trobe University where you will spend the majority of your time, but with an expectation that you will spend typically 12 months at Sheffield Hallam University. Travel to and study at the host institution will be subject to the usual immigration requirements.
The joint PhD includes a tailored program of progress monitoring to fulfil the requirements of both institutions. All candidates will write and submit a thesis for defence by oral examination. On successful completion of the program requirements, you will be awarded a PhD jointly by both institutions.
The successful applicant must be available to commence their degree between 1 July and 30 November 2021, at a La Trobe University campus,and willing to spend typically 12 months based in Sheffield, UK.
There are three joint PhD projects available to applicants,listed below and one scholarship is available, competitively awarded and selection is based on academic merit and suitability to the selected project.Please contact the lead supervisor for more information about these projects.
Scholarships for a range of different projects in the same program are also being offered by Sheffield Hallam University; further information on these scholarships is available through the Sheffield Hallam Doctoral Programmes and Projects page.
For a list of available projects, please refer to the La Trobe University – Sheffield Hallam University projects page.
Benefits of the scholarship
- a stipend for up to three and a half (3.5) years, with a value of $28,597 per annum (2021 rate)
- a Research Training Program - Fees Offset scholarship covering tuition fees for up to four (4) years.
- a travel allowance to assist with travel between Melbourne and Sheffield and personal expenses while resident in the UK
- Relocation allowance and publication/thesis allowance or RTP allowance
- opportunities to work with outstanding researchers at La Trobe and Sheffield Hallam universities, and have access to our suite of professional development programs
Are you eligible to apply?
To be eligible to apply for this scholarship, applicants must:
- meet the Doctor of Philosophy entrance requirements
- not be receiving another scholarship greater than 75 per cent of the stipend rate for the same purpose
- be an Australian or New Zealand citizen or Australian permanent resident.
In selecting successful applicants, we prioritise applications from candidates who:
- will be enrolled full-time
- have completed a Masters by Research or other significant body of research, such as an honours research thesis or lead authorship of a peer-reviewed publication, assessed at a La Trobe Masters by research standard of 75 or above
How to apply
Applicants should follow the following steps to apply to La Trobe University. Selected applicants will then be invited to subsequently apply for admission into the PhD program at Sheffield Hallam University.
- review the scholarship eligibility requirements above
- review details on how to apply for candidature
- select a project from the list of available projects
- contact the nominated contact person for your preferred project via the email address listed under the relevant project details to obtain their in-principle agreement for you to apply
- complete a Research Statement Form for your nominated project (only one project can be nominated)
- complete your application for admission into La Trobe’s PhD program
- a research proposal is not required
- submit your application to the La Trobe Graduate Research School (email@example.com) by 30 April 2021
Who to contact for further information
Graduate Research School, firstname.lastname@example.org