La Trobe University Industry Research Scholarship - Optimisation of Alumina and Zirconia-based Substrates for Electrochemical Devices
Who is it for?
Future PhD candidates
Where is it available?
How is it paid?
Per annum, for three and a half years. Fee relief additional.
This prestigious scholarship, established by La Trobe University in partnership with a prominent industry partner, will be awarded to an outstanding applicant with a strong track record of academic excellence in Materials Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or a relevant field.
The successful applicant will be based at our partner’s head office for 5 days per month during normal office hours and the remaining days will be at La Trobe University’s Advanced Materials Processing and Characterization Laboratory at the Bendigo Campus.
This scholarship is available to international and domestic applicants.
The successful applicant will undertake high impact industry-relevant research and development activities in the field of ceramic materials, co-creating advanced state-of-the-art solutions for our industry partner through the Research Group. They will focus on optimizing processing parameters of alumina-zirconia ceramic composites to produce high performance and functional components and to utilize the facilities within University to establish design-process-property relationships.
Applicants with strong teamwork skills and a strong research track record, particularly with prior experience undertaking research or development in ceramic materials are strongly encouraged to apply.
Benefits of the scholarship include:
- a La Trobe Research Scholarship for three and a half years, with a value of $28,092.00 per annum, to support your living costs (2020 rate)
- a fee-relief scholarship for up to four years to undertake a PhD at La Trobe University
- opportunities to work with La Trobe’s outstanding researchers, and have access to our suite of professional development programs.
Are you eligible to apply?
To be eligible to apply for this scholarship, applicants must:
- a Masters by research degree in a relevant discipline completed within the last ten years assessed at a La Trobe Masters by research standard of 75 or above;
- an Honours degree, Masters by coursework or ungraded Masters by research degree completed within the last ten years where you achieved a weighted average mark of 70 or above across any coursework subjects; AND any of the following assessed at a La Trobe Masters by research standard of 75 or above:
- a research thesis of approximately 15,000-20,000 words; or
- the degree includes a written research component comprising at least 3/8 of one year; or
- you are the lead author of a peer-reviewed publication or other research published within the last ten years
How to apply
If you wish to apply for this scholarship, follow Step 3 on our research application page – please ensure you submit a full application for scholarship and candidature and indicate Associate Professor Ing Kong as your potential supervisor. You are not required to submit a research proposal for with your application.
In your application, clearly indicate that you wish to be considered for the COFA-La Trobe University Industry Research Scholarship.
If you are shortlisted for the scholarship and candidature, you will be invited to an interview with representatives of La Trobe and COFA’s industry partner.The final decision will be made based on your application and interview. The successful candidate will be made an offer for candidature and scholarship.
You will be advised of an outcome in late 2020.
Who to contact for further information
Associate Professor Ing Kong, I.Kong@latrobe.edu.au