La Trobe University Industry Research Scholarship - Melbourne Rebels: Developing Speed, Power and Strength in Professional Rugby Union Players
Per annum for three and a half years. Fee relief additional.
Who is it for?
Future PhD candidates, Australian Citizen, New Zealand Citizen, Permanent Resident, International Student
Where is it available?
How is it paid?
This prestigious scholarship, established by a collaboration between La Trobe University and the Melbourne Rebels professional rugby union team will be awarded to an outstanding applicant who is interested in investigating speed, strength and power in professional rugby union players. The objective of this project is to explore sprint mechanisms in rugby players and how speed and acceleration can be influenced by strength and power.
As an applicant you should have an interest in sport and exercise science, with specialist expertise in strength and conditioning. Familiarity with GPS data and systems in also beneficial.
Benefits of the scholarship include:
- a La Trobe Research Scholarship for three and a half years, with a value of $28,854.00 per annum, to support your living costs (2022 rate)
- a fee-relief scholarship for up to four years
- relocation allowance and publication/thesis allowance
- opportunities to work with La Trobe’s outstanding researchers, and have access to our suite of professional development programs.
Are you eligible to apply?
To be eligible to apply for this scholarship, applicants must:
- meet the entrance requirements for the Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)
- not be receiving another scholarship greater than 75 per cent of the stipend rate for the same purpose
In selecting successful applicants, we prioritise applications from candidates who:
- will be enrolled full-time and undertaking their research at a La Trobe University campus
- have completed a Masters by Research or other significant body of research, such as an honours research thesis or lead authorship of a peer-reviewed publication, assessed at a La Trobe Masters by research standard of 75 or above
How to apply
If you wish to apply for this scholarship, follow Step 3 on our research application page – please ensure you submit a full application for scholarship and candidature
Please note: As part of your application you are not required to identify a potential supervisor – Dr Lachlan James is the designated supervisor for this project.
In your application, clearly indicate that you wish to be considered for the La Trobe University Industry Research Scholarship – Melbourne Rebels: Developing speed, power and strength in professional rugby union players.
Selection process: The University will carefully review your application and consider you for this scholarship.
If you are shortlisted for the scholarship and candidature, you will be invited to an interview with representatives of La Trobe and the Melbourne Rebels.
The final decision will be made based on your application and interview. The successful candidate will be made an offer for candidature and scholarship.
Who to contact for further information
Dr Lachlan James, firstname.lastname@example.org