John Richards Agricultural Scholarships
(3 Year Duration)
Who is it for?
Where is it available?
How is it paid?
3000 Per Semester
Mr Frederick (John) Richards, OAM, is a former jackaroo, soldier and farmer and was the inaugural resident of the Yarrawonga District Health Service Board of Management and instrumental in the development and implementation of the Moira Healthcare Alliance. Mr Richards' vision to support aged care in North East Victoria has been backed by generous and continuing donations to La Trobe University for the establishment and operation of the John Richards Initiative (JRI) into Aged care in Rural Communities based at Albury-Wodonga.
Mr Richards now wishes to expand his support for the north east corridor of Victoria through the establishment of 'The John Richards Agricultural Scholarships'. The aim of this scholarship is to support students in agriculture with the view to them contributing to economic and sustainable development in the field of agriculture in this region.
This scholarship will be awarded to a high-performing commencing undergraduate who displays outstanding community leadership qualities with an interest in pursuing a career in the field of Agricultural Economics/Management, including Agronomy, in regional Victoria.
Are you eligible to apply?
To be eligible to apply for this scholarship, applicants must:
- Be an Australian citizen, aged between 18 and 25 years;
- Be intending to enrol as a full time student;
- Be commencing their first year of their undergraduate degree in 2019 in:
- Bachelor of Agricultural Sciences
- Bachelor of Science, intending to major in Agricultural Science (pre-requisite subjects in Semester 1 are AGR1AAS, BIO1MGC and CHE1CHF or CHE1GEN)
- Bachelor of Business (Agribusiness)
- Be able to demonstrate satisfactory academic achievement (Year 12 results/ATAR)
- The ability to demonstrate leadership, initiative and involvement in community affairs will be considered favourably;
- Preference will be given to those applicants that are able to demonstrate an interest in pursuing a career related to Agricultural Science, Agronomy or Agribusiness in regional Victoria
- You must address how the value of the scholarship will assist you in your studies.
Recipients of the scholarship shall be selected by the University based on their:
- Potential as a future leader in the field, and in community involvement
- Demonstrated need for financial assistance to benefit the completion of their studies
- Demonstrated commitment to working in Regional Victoria on graduation.
How to apply
Information about how to apply will be made available when applications open.
Who to contact for further information
Scholarships Office, firstname.lastname@example.org