Tertiary Access Payment application

The Tertiary Access Payment helps students from outer regional or remote areas with the costs of moving to La Trobe University. It is a one-off payment of $5,000 paid in two instalments during the first year of study.

Eligible students will be studying in the year immediately after they finish Year 12 and will be relocating to study at any La Trobe campus more than 90 minutes (by public transport) away from the family home.

Eligible students can use the Tertiary Access Payment to cover costs associated with study including, but not restricted to, bond for accommodation, assistance with rent and other household bills, groceries, as well as textbooks and other study supplies.

Please use a desktop or laptop computer to complete your application, not a mobile device. Documents may not attach properly if you are using a mobile device.

If your address is classified as outer regional or remote we will provide you with a link to an online application form that your parent/s or guardian/s must complete.

Personal details
Date of birth *
Please confirm the following:
I am moving from an outer regional, remote or very remote area to study at a La Trobe Campus * IMPORTANT! Please check the Student Regional Area Search Tool to confirm if your home address is eligible.
My family home is more than 90 minutes away from my La Trobe Campus by public transport, or, no public transport is available *
I am starting at La Trobe University in 2021 directly after finishing Year 12 (or equivalent) in 2020 *
I will be studying full-time and at least part of my course requires me to be on-campus *
I will be younger than 22 on the day I start my course at La Trobe University *
I am a: * (Please select)
What were/are your living arrangements (i.e. were/are you living with your parent (s)/guardian(s) or were/are you independent)? * If you select ‘Living independently’, you need to meet particular Living arrangements criteria [PDF 104KB] and provide supporting evidence as part of your application. If you select 'Living with parent(s)/guardian(s)' and deemed eligible we will send you an online application form for your parents to complete.
Are you currently receiving any other support payments or scholarships? Receiving other forms of support does not affect your eligibility for this payment, however you should contact Centrelink/Services Australia to see if this payment will affect any other financial support payments you may receive.
A parent/guardian is defined as natural, adoptive or relationship parent(s)/guardian(s) of the applicant. If you do not normally live with your parent(s) and your parents are divorced or separated, your parent is the parent you last lived with. In shared custody situations (including parents separated under one roof), the parent with primary care responsibility should be used. In 50/50 shared care situations you may nominate which parent you want to use for TAP. If there is a step parent their income is not taken into account.

Please note:

Your application will not be accepted until you have supplied all the required documents. If further documents are requested, you have 28 days to provide them. If you do not supply the requested documentation in this time, your application may be rejected.


Please ensure that files you upload are in the required format and correctly configured. If your internet connection is slow, ensure that files are given sufficient time to upload before you click the submit button.

Supporting documents
(doc, docx, pdf, jpg or png file type only. Max 8MB file size)
E.g. bank statements, letter from school, electoral commission enrolment form, utilities bill, phone bill etc. Proof must be in your name. Post Office box addresses are not acceptable.
Examples of evidence include but are not limited to:
- Documentation from an Indigenous community organisation, a well-known and respected person of the Indigenous community or a relevant state or territory authority (ATSI applicants only)
- Statement from the Department of Corrective Services or Juvenile Justice confirming period spent in custody
- Unreasonable to live at home statement by Parent(s)/Guardian(s) (SY016) form that has been previously accepted by Services Australia or statement signed by social worker
- Documentation from a state or territory government agency
- A statutory declaration

(doc, docx, pdf, jpg or png file type only. Max 8MB file size)




All information provided by applicants will be treated as confidential. At La Trobe University, we respect the privacy of your personal information. We collect personal information in your application to determine your eligibility for a scholarship, bursary or grant, and to assess your application as part of the ranking and allocation process. In accordance with privacy laws, personal information about you contained in your application will not be used for any other purpose or disclosed to any person who is not part of the La Trobe assessment and allocation process, without your permission. You may have the right to access personal information we hold about you, subject to any exceptions in relevant laws, by contacting the Scholarships Unit via email at scholarships@latrobe.edu.au The La Trobe University privacy policy can be viewed at: www.latrobe.edu.au/privacy/