European XFEL (EuXFEL) PhD Scholarship
Per annum, for three and a half years. Fee relief additional.
Who is it for?
Future graduate researchers, Future PhD candidates, Graduate researchers
Where is it available?
How is it paid?
A prestigious scholarship, established by La Trobe University in partnership with the European X-Ray Free Electron Laser (EuXFEL), will be awarded to an outstanding applicant who is interested in ultra-fast X-ray imaging of biomolecules and materials. The EuXFEL facility is in Schenefeld, in the metropolitan area of Hamburg, Germany.
The candidate will be enrolled at La Trobe University and as part of their candidature will undertake a period of at least 12 months external candidature based at the EuXFEL facility, the world’s most powerful X-ray source.
As an applicant you should have an interest in at least one of the following:
- biomolecular imaging and molecular movies
- coherent X-ray optics
- instrumentation development
- condensed matter physics.
- a La Trobe Research Scholarship for three and a half years, with a value of $27,596.00 per annum, to support your living costs (2019 rate)
- a fee-relief scholarship for up to four years to undertake a PhD at La Trobe University
- a travel allowance of up to $2,000 for a return airfare between Melbourne and Hamburg for each candidate’s visit to the EuXFEL
- opportunities to work with La Trobe’s outstanding researchers, and have access to our suite of professional development programs.
Are you eligible to apply?
To be eligible to apply for this scholarship, applicants must:- have a Masters by research degree in a relevant discipline completed within the last ten years assessed at a La Trobe Masters by research standard of 75 or above, or equivalent; or
- have an Honours degree, Masters by coursework or ungraded Masters by research degree completed within the last ten years where you achieved a weighted average mark of 70 or above across any coursework subjects, or equiavlent; AND any of the following assessed at a La Trobe Masters by research standard of 75 or above:
- a research thesis of approximately 15,000-20,000 words; or
- the degree includes a written research component comprising at least 3/8 of one year; or
- you are the lead author of a peer-reviewed publication or other research published within the last ten years.
How to apply
Submit a full application for the scholarship and PhD candidature.
You are not required to identify a potential supervisor – identification of a supervisor will occur as part of the assessment process.In your application, indicate clearly that you wish to be considered for the EuXFEL PhD Scholarship.
1. Follow the Step 3 on our research application page
2. Interview: if you are shortlisted for the scholarship and candidature, you will be invited to an interview with representatives of La Trobe and the EuXFEL.
3. Final decision: the final decision will be made based on your application and interview. The successful candidate will be made an offer for candidature and scholarship.
The University will carefully review your application and consider you for this scholarship. You will be advised of an outcome in December 2019.
Who to contact for further information
Ms Fabienne Perani, email@example.com