About RFA: Sport, Exercise and Rehabilitation
The Sport, Exercise and Rehabilitation Research Focus Area at La Trobe University builds on our existing research strength in Human Movement and Sport Science (bio mechanics, exercise physiology, motor control, sports medicine) which was rated as number 5, well‑above world standard, in both the ERA 2010 and 2012 assessment exercise. With some of the world's best researchers in exercise physiology, physiotherapy, sports medicine, nutrition and sport management,we bring together a team of over 100 researchers.
Vision and Goals
We want to empower individuals and communities to become happier and healthier.
Our research will enable more people in Australia to be more active and to live longer and stronger, by stepping up to the global challenges of inactivity, chronic disease and movement disorders. It will also enable elite sports people to perform at a higher level and to compete more successfully.
With a lifespan approach from childhood to very old age, we will deliver innovative, multidisciplinary research outcomes in sport, exercise and rehabilitation to provide well being and performance benefits for healthy people, the frail and aged, the de-conditioned, those with diseases and disabilities as well as elite athletes.
- Jenni Smith, Executive Director, Continuing Care and Ambulatory Services /Chief Allied Health Officer, Northern Health
- Brett Johnson, General Manager, AFL Players Association
- Bruce Bolam, Executive Manager Programs Group, Victorian Health Promotion Foundation
- Melissa Arkinstall, Director, Exercise Research Australia
- Marcus Dripps, National President, Australian Physiotherapy Association
- Julia Firth, Podiatry Manager and Diabetes Foot Service Co-ordinator, Western Health
- Mark McAllion, CEO, VicSport
- Anthony Merrilees, CEO, Sports Medicine Australia.
Our membership is drawn from across many areas of the University, including all of the faculties, and University research groups.