RED researcher writing retreat
John Scott Meeting House 20-22 November 2018
Academic Writing Month (#LTUacwrimo) culminates in a three day writing retreat, held at the Melbourne campus. Run since 2015, this popular program facilitates you to work on your individual writing goals in a supportive environment.
The retreat will be particularly useful for researchers with a clear writing goal who can sustain three days of independent writing and is unlikely to be suitable for graduate researchers in their first year of candidature.
The retreat is designed to give you time and space to focus on an individual writing project: a journal article, a conference paper, a book or thesis chapter. Most of the time, you will be writing quietly in a room with others, towards your own writing goal.
To support you reaching your goal, the retreat offers:
- A meeting with your writing, and space away from the office to work without interruptions
- Spaces to join in Shut Up and Write-style Pomodoro writing sprints
or alternatively to work silently with no interruptions
- All lunches, morning and afternoon teas are catered, and covered by the registration cost
- Optional writing workshops and writing resources
- Optional shoulder massage (cost extra), and yoga for writers.
- Opportunities to connect with other writers through the retreat.
What to bring
Bring to the retreat:
- Your laptop and writing tools
- A powerboard and extension cable
- If you use ergonomic or assistive equipment, please feel free to bring your own chair, footrest or auxiliaries
- A plan for your three days of writing.
Regional and La Trobe External participants
Accommodation has been secured by RED close to campus for regional and external participants. Travel costs can be covered. After registering, please contact the RED team with the subject as Travel and Accommodation support for AcWriMo Retreat to discuss support.
Registration and Cost
The total cost for the retreat (including morning and afternoon tea and lunches each day) is $50.
Registration closes: Monday 5 November
Daily pomodoros, yoga sessions, shoulder massage, writing resources, connect with colleagues.
Morning tea, lunch, afternoon tea and hot drinks, will be available throughout the retreat.
Within the schedule, you are encouraged to take breaks regularly to maximise your productivity.
9:00 am- 12.30 pm
Choose your writing space. Write until lunch.
12.30 pm-1.15 pm
To be confirmed
Optional workshop or Yoga
1.15 pm-5 pm
Choose your writing space. Write.
Formal close of the day.
5:00 pm-6:00 pm
The building is not locked until 6pm, and you are welcome to write then.