China Scholarship Council – La Trobe University Scholarship Program
The China Scholarship Council (CSC) and La Trobe University jointly sponsor up to five selected Chinese students each year to undertake a PhD degree at La Trobe. All candidates must meet the La Trobe eligibility requirements well as CSC requirements.
Benefits of the scholarship
- A fee-relief scholarship (LTUFFRS) for up to four years to undertake a La Trobe PhD (provided by La Trobe University)
- A living allowance, including health insurance, at a level determined by the Chinese Government to support your living costs (provided by CSC)
- A return international airfare between China and Australia (provided by CSC)
- Visa application fees (provided by CSC)
- Opportunities to collaborate with La Trobe’s leading researchers, and have access to our suite of professional development programs (provided by La Trobe University).
How to apply
Step 1 - Apply for candidature at La Trobe University (deadline: 15 January each year)
- Prepare your application following all the steps and requirements
- Submit your application to the La Trobe Graduate Research School by 15 January, indicating that you are planning to submit a CSC scholarship application.
- La Trobe University considers your application and, if successful, provides you with a letter of offer by 1 March.
Step 2 - Apply for CSC scholarship (deadline: 5 April each year)
- Once you have obtained your letter of offer from La Trobe University, submit your application for a CSC scholarship directly with CSC by 5 April.
- CSC evaluates your application and, if successful, notifies you and La Trobe University of the outcome.
Step 3 - Accept your Offer Letter from La Trobe University
Once your scholarship application has been approved by CSC (step 2), you must accept your Offer Letter and enrol as a PhD candidate at La Trobe University.
Scholarships for Mexican postgraduate research students
The scholarship program between La Trobe University and the Mexican National Council for Science and Technology (Consejo Nacional de Ciencia y Tecnología, CONACYT) supports up to 2 Master by Research and up to four PhD high achieving Mexican students who have been accepted and enrolled into a Master by Research or a PhD program at La Trobe University.
La Trobe will provide a 25 per cent reduction of the tuition fees for up to two Master by Research, and up to four PhD students each year. The CONACYT scholarships cover tuition fees, a stipend to cover living costs, and visa-length Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC).
How to apply
Step 1 - Apply for PhD candidature at La Trobe University
- Candidates must first apply to La Trobe University and receive a Letter of Offer. For details on how to submit an application please go to How to apply.
- La Trobe University considers your application and, if successful, provides you with a Letter of Offer.
Step 2 - Apply for a scholarship with CONACYT
- Applicants who have received a Letter of Offer from la Trobe University are required to apply for a scholarship directly with CONACYT. Calls are open from approximately April – June each year, please confirm the current deadlines and the application process on the CONACYT website.
If you have any questions on the CONACYT process, please contact La Trobe University’s in-country representative in Mexico.
If you have any questions on how to apply to La Trobe University, please contact La Trobe International.
SmartSat CRC scholarships
The SmartSat CRC is a consortium of universities and other research organisations, partnered with industry that has been funded by the Australian Government to develop know-how and technologies in advanced telecommunications and IoT connectivity, intelligent satellite systems and Earth observation next generation data services.
Currently the SmartSat CRC is offering a number of scholarships in space and satellite systems. For more information and how to apply, please refer to the SmartSat CRC flyer and the SmartSat CRC website.
Lionel Murphy Endowment Postgraduate Scholarship
Value $40,000 for one year for students intending to undertake a postgraduate degree in Science, Law or Legal Studies, or other appropriate discipline (must be Australian citizens or permanent residents who have resided in Australia for at least the previous 12 months). Applications close 20 November every year. Find out more about the Lionel Murphy Endowment Postgraduate Scholarship.
Australia Awards Endeavour Scholarships and Fellowships
The Australia Awards Endeavour Scholarships and Fellowships are internationally competitive, merit-based scholarships that support Australians to undertake study, research and professional development overseas and citizens from eligible countries to undertake these activities in Australia. Find out more about the Australia Awards Endeavour Scholarships and Fellowships.
NSW Health Nursing and Midwifery Aboriginal Postgraduate Scholarships
Scholarships of up to $15,000 are available to Aboriginal people currently working as registered nurses or registered midwives in NSW to assist with educational expenses directly associated with postgraduate study. Find out more about the NSW Health Nursing and Midwifery Aboriginal Postgraduate Scholarships.
Australian Petroleum, Production and Exploration Association (APPEA) KA Richards Scholarship
The KA Richards Scholarship was established in 1989 to encourage professional development to the benefit of the industry. The scholarship offers a maximum of $10,000 per year and is tenable for one year for Master's study or three years for a doctoral degree full-time (or an appropriate duration for part-time study). Find out more about the Australian Petroleum, Production and Exploration Association (APPEA) KA Richards Scholarship.
Data61/CSIRO Research Scholarship
Data61/CSIRO offers PhD stipend as well as top-up scholarships to domestic and international applicants working on co-supervised data-driven research projects.
Students are co-supervised by researchers in Data61/CSIRO and academics in La Trobe University.
The projects will be in areas such as ASIC/FPGA accelerated Machine Learning/AI, microelectronics design, computer architecture/hardware and their application in IoT and Data Science. Other areas of interest are Analogue and RF ASIC design, neuromorphic circuits design, nano-magnets/spintronics, Data Science and AI.
For enquiries, please contact Dr. Mohsen Radfar (firstname.lastname@example.org).
For more details on application steps please refer to Data61 information.
CP-ACHIEVE Centre of Research Excellence
CP-Achieve is the Australian Centre for Health, Independence, Economic Participation and Value Enhanced care for adolescents and young adults with Cerebral Palsy. It is a NHMRC funded Centre for Research Excellence.
CP-Achieve is offering PhD stipends to domestic applicants. The centre welcomes applications from Research Students from various academic disciplines, including: physiotherapists, paediatricians, speech pathologists, occupational therapists, psychologists and nurses.
Students are co-supervised by at least one researcher Chief Investigator or Associate Investigator from CP-Achieve. A list of investigators can be found here.
CP-Achieve comprises research projects within two Programs: (1) Improving physical and mental health; and (2) Building supportive environments. Cutting across all programs are the themes: Authentic consumer engagement; Promoting participation; and Economic analysis. Specific areas of interest are data linkage, lifestyle programs (including exercise), building supportive environments, orthopaedics and cerebral palsy cohort studies.
For more details on application steps please refer to CP-Achieve
Indonesian government scholarships (BPPLN)
Indonesian students can apply to the Indonesian Ministry of Research, Technology and Higher Education (Ristekdikti) for a scholarship to study at La Trobe University. These scholarships are referred to as BPPLN scholarships.
BPPLN scholarships cover the scholarship recipient’s university fees, visa fees, as well as their living costs. For more information on this scholarship scheme, please refer to the Ristek-Dikti website.