Our research activities are predominantly within the areas of materials and surface science involving significant interaction with both local and international industrial and academic research organisations.
Members from across La Trobe's science Departments are engaged in many projects that make up the Centre's body of research.
- Electronic bandstructure determinations of III/V and II/VI semiconductors using angle resolved photoelectron spectroscopy in conjunction with synchrotron radiation
- Investigation of the topology of the Fermi surface of metals and alloys
- Development of novel high resolution electron spectrometers
- Molecular Beam Epitaxy of III-V and II-VI semiconductors
- Surface analysis of polymer films
- Surface science studies of antimony-free lead grid electrodes in low maintenance lead-acid batteries
- X-ray Photoelectron Spectroscopy studies of new piezoelectric and magnetic materials, synthesized at La Trobe
- XPS studies of rare-earth-fluoride ion-selective electrodes, with particular emphasis on crystal growth and surface reactivity
- Irradiation-modification of Metal-Semiconductor interface properties.
- X-ray Photoelectron Diffraction studies of Adsorbates
- Electron Stimulated Desorption from GaAs surfaces
- Cluster-ion photodissociation spectroscopy directed to the study of weak molecular interactions
- Electrospray mass spectrometry of ion-clusters in solution
- Molecular orbital calculations on large molecules including buckminsterfullerene adducts and small polysaccharide and polypeptide systems
Postgraduate research programs
We offer a vibrant and energetic research environment that is internationally recognised in the areas of condensed matter physics and X-ray science. Postgraduate studies at Masters and PhD level by research are available.
Students interested in applying are encouraged to first contact prospective supervisors to discuss potential research projects. View our staff profiles to contact individual staff members to discuss prospective supervision.
Other scholarships may be available throughout the year. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
CMSS welcomes inquiries from well qualified and motivated prospective research fellows, including through national and international fellowship schemes. Please contact the Centre or individual research leaders for further details.