The Research Centre for Computers, Communication and Social Innovation (RECCSI) delivers social and service innovation through the design of emotionally engaging systems.
We’re situated within the La Trobe Business School, College of Arts, Social Sciences and Commerce at La Trobe University, Melbourne, Australia.
We play a leading role in Australia and globally in cross-disciplinary research, the development of Information Communication Technologies (ICTs) and socially and emotionally engaging systems.
Our work and expertise in social innovation encompasses: aged care, healthcare, autism care, human resource management, business intelligence and knowledge management.
During the past eight years, our multidisciplinary team of prominent researchers and practitioners from social sciences, healthcare, ICT, computing and engineering have helped transform communities, research and innovation.
We’ve applied our ‘design thinking approach’ for social innovation by working with community partners and industry stakeholders to implement trials, design and deploy person-centered systems in lifelong care. We’ve also applied this approach to support:
- special needs education for children
- language learning in schools and higher education
- smart cities and sustainable organisations.
Our objectives are to:
- promote interdisciplinary research in social sciences and Information Communication Technologies (ICTs) to shift towards social innovation, leading to the sustainability of human society
- conduct research and training in socially engaging ICTs which model human communication between people, teams and communities
- develop ICTs in health care, aged care, human resource management, education, security, e-tourism and autism
- nurture national and international collaboration with other research centres and institutions
- leverage research partners for research, development and commercialisation
- organise international conferences and seminars in human-computer interaction, emotionally engaging systems, and related areas
- facilitate knowledge transfer to practitioners.
Established in 2009, RECCSI partners with NEC Corporation (NEC) and Kyoto University to function as a resource centre linking Melbourne-based researchers with NEC scientists and researchers from Kyoto University, Japan.
We are a collaborative hub for researchers from the three institutions and specialise in the design and development of emotionally engaging systems for social innovation.
We’ve forged a strong collaborative research partnership with Professor Toyoaki Nishida (Kyoto University) in context-aware emotion based systems and conversational informatics. Our team collaborates on projects with NEC Computer & Communications Innovation Research Laboratories (CCIL) and Kyoto University researchers led by Dr Keiji Yamada and Professor Toyoaki Nishida.
Inspired by our work?
Enquire about our services or book a consultation with our specialists.