CAPTeam - Findings and publications
AICES (Australian Infant Communication and Engagement Study)
Early Intervention Findings
The AICES clinical trial was carried out by La Trobe University and Telethon Kids Insitute, WA, between 2016 – 2020. This significant study forms part of our early intervention research program, which seeks to evaluate therapies that can then be implemented very early in life for infants. We had the generous support, time and knowledge of 103 families across Victoria and WA. Our valued partnership with Victorian Maternal Child Health Service and the WA Child Development Service also made this research possible.
We have now completed an analysis of the early data from AICES. This includes information collected at the start of the study (baseline), through to when our infants turned 18 months old. By this age, the iBASIS program for half of our randomised participants had just finished. This early data already presents interesting results, particularly around infant language development.
Our next steps include analysis of participant information across the entire study when our children reached 3.5 years of age. We look forward to sharing these final results and the subsequent publications.
Further AICES reading
Published March 2021
Publications and Articles:
Pre-emptive intervention versus treatment as usual for infants showing early behavioural risk signs of autism spectrum disorder: a single-blind, randomised controlled trial. Lancet Child and Adolescent Health
Published July 2019
Published July 2019
Could early infant screen and intervention help prevent autism? The Conversation.
Published July 2015
- Bent C A, Barbaro J , Dissanayake A C. Parents’ experiences of the service pathway to an autism diagnosis for their child: What predicts an early diagnosis in Australia?. Research in Developmental Disabilities. 103. DOI 10.1016/j.ridd.2020.103689
- Chetcuti L, Uljarevic M, Varcin K J, Boutrus M, Wan M W, Slonims V, Green J, Segal L, Iacono T, Dissanayake A C, Whitehouse A J O, Hudry K. The role of negative affectivity in concurrent relations between caregiver psychological distress and social-emotional difficulties in infants with early signs of autism. Autism Research: official journal of the International Society for Autism Research. DOI 10.1002/aur.2296
- Chetcuti L , Uljarević, M Varcin K, Boutrus M, Wan M. W, Green, J, Iacono T, Dissanayake C, Whitehouse A. J. O, Hudry K. (in press). Subgroups of temperament associated with social-emotional difficulties in infants with early signs of autism. Autism Research.
- Hudry K, Chetcuti L, Hocking D R, Motor functioning in developmental psychopathology: A review of autism as an example context. Research in Developmental Disabilities. 105:103739-103739.
- Korbut S, Hedley D, Chetcuti L, Sahin E, Nuske H J. Temperament predicts challenging behavior in children with autism spectrum disorder at age 5. Research in Autism Spectrum Disorders. 71. DOI 10.1016/j.rasd.2019.101492
- Smith J, Bent C A, Green C C, Woollacott A, Hudry K. Non-native language proficiency may influence the responsiveness of bilingual parents towards young children with autism: A short report. Autism and Developmental Language Impairments. 5.
- Sulek R, Smith J, Bent C A, Hudry K. (in press). Commentary on “Peer-mediated Early Start Denver Model ‘playdates’ for a young child with autism spectrum disorder: a case study” (van Noorden, Waddington, van der Meer & Tupou, 2020). Research in Practice in Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities.
- Chetcuti L, Hudry K, Grant M, Vivanti G. Object-directed imitation in autism spectrum disorder is differentially influenced by motoric task complexity, but not social contextual cues. Autism: the international journal of research and practice. 23:199-211.
- Chetcuti, L., Uljarević, M., & Hudry, K. Editorial Perspective: Furthering research on temperament in autism spectrum disorder. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 60(2): 225-228.
- Green C, Brown N, Yap V, Scheffer I, Wilson S. Cognitive Processes Predicting Advanced Theory of Mind in the Broader Autism Phenotype. Autism Research: official journal of the International Society for Autism Research. 13. DOI 10.1002/aur.2209
- Bozaoglu K, Gao Y, Stanley E, Fanjul-Fernández M, Brown N J, Pope K, Green C C, Vlahos K, Sourris K, Bahlo M, Delatycki M, Scheffer I, Lockhart PJ. Generation of seven iPSC lines from peripheral blood mononuclear cells suitable to investigate Autism Spectrum Disorder . Stem Cell Research. 39. DOI doi.org/10.1016/j.scr.2019.101516
- Sanchez K, Boyce J O, Mei C, St John M, Smith J et al. Communication in children born very preterm: a prospective cohort study. Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology. 62. DOI 10.1111/dmcn.14360
- Smith J A, Levickis P, Eadie P, Bretherton L, Conway L et al. Associations between early maternal behaviours and child language at 36 months in a cohort experiencing adversity. International Journal of Language and Communication Disorders. 54:110-122. DOI 10.1111/1460-6984.12435
- Vivanti G, Dissanayake C, Duncan E, Feary J, Capes K, S Upson, Bent C A, Rogers S J, Hudry K. Outcomes of Children Receiving Group-Early Start Denver Model in an Inclusive Versus Autism-Specific Setting: a Pilot Randomized Controlled Trial. Autism: the international journal of research and practice. 23:1165-1175.
- Whitehouse A J O, Varcin K J, Alvares G A, Barbaro J, Bent C, Chetcuti L, Dimov S, Hudry K. Pre-emptive intervention versus treatment as usual for infants showing early behavioural risk signs of autism spectrum disorder: a single-blind, randomised controlled trial. Lancet Child and Adolescent Health. 3:605-615. DOI: 10.1016/S2352-4642(19)30184-1
- Bischof N L, Rapee R M, Hudry K, Bayer J K. Acceptability and caregiver-reported outcomes for young children with autism spectrum disorder whose parents attended a preventative population-based intervention for anxiety: A pilot study. Autism Research: official journal of the International Society for Autism Research . 11:1166-1174. DOI 10.1002/aur.1963
- Conway L J, Levickis P, Mensah F, Smith J A, Wake M et al. The role of joint engagement in the development of language in a community-derived sample of slow-to-talk children. Journal of Child Language. 45:1275-1293. DOI 10.1017/S030500091800017X
- Conway L J, Levickis P A, Smith J A, Mensah F, Wake M et al. Maternal communicative behaviours and interaction quality as predictors of language development: findings from a community‐based study of slow‐to‐talk toddlers. International Journal of Language and Communication Disorders. 53:339-354. DOI 10.1111/1460-6984.12352
- Ganea N, Hudry K, Vernetti A, Tucker L, Charman T et al. Development of Adaptive Communication Skills in Infants of Blind Parents. Developmental Psychology. 54:2265-2273. DOI 10.1037/dev0000564
- Green C C, Dissanayake A C, Loesch-Mdzewska D Z, Bui M, Barbaro J. Skeletal Growth Dysregulation in Australian Male Infants and Toddlers With Autism Spectrum Disorder. Autism Research: official journal of the International Society for Autism Research. 11:846-856. DOI 10.1002/aur.1952
- Hudry K, Rumney L, Pitt N, Barbaro J, Vivanti G. Interaction Behaviors of Bilingual Parents With Their Young Children With Autism Spectrum Disorder. Journal of Clinical Child and Adolescent Psychology. 47:S321-S328. DOI 10.1080/15374416.2017.1286592
- Hudry K, McConachie H, Le Couteur A, Howlin P, Barrett B et al. Predictors of reliable symptom change: Secondary analysis of the Preschool Autism Communication Trial. Autism and Developmental Language Impairments. 3:1-12. DOI 10.1177/2F2396941518764760
- Iacono T, Dissanayake A C C, Hudry K, Trembath D, Erickson S et al. Translating research into practice in low-resource settings: An Australian case study of early autism service provision in a regional town. Journal of Intellectual and Developmental Disability. 43:40-48.
- Smith J, Eadie T, Levickis P, Bretherton L, Goldfeld S. Predictive validity of verbal and non-verbal communication and mother-child turn-taking at 12 months on language outcomes at 24 and 36 months in a cohort of infants experiencing adversity: a preliminary study. International Journal of Language and Communication Disorders. 53:969-980. DOI 10.1111/1460-6984.12408
- Smith J, Levickis P, Eadie T, Bretherton L, Conway L. et al. Associations between Maternal Behaviors at 1 Year and Child Language at 2 Years in a Cohort of Women Experiencing Adversity. Infancy. 23:74-102. DOI 10.1111/infa.12200
- Smith J, Levickis P, Eadie T, Bretherton L, Conway L. et al. Concurrent associations between maternal behaviours and infant communication within a cohort of women and their infants experiencing adversity. International Journal of Speech-Language Pathology. 20:516-527. DOI 10.1080/17549507.2017.1329458
- Vivanti G, Kasari C, Green J, Mandell D, Maye M, Hudry K. Implementing and evaluating early intervention for children with autism: Where are the gaps and what should we do?. Autism Research: official journal of the International Society for Autism Research . 11:16-23. DOI 10.1002/aur.1900
- Wade C, Matthews J, Bent C A, Neill E, Petrovic Z, Fisher J, Michaux A, Cann W. Parenting today: a state-wide representative survey of contemporary parenting experiences. Children Australia. 43:77-85. DOI 10.1017/cha.2018.7
- Bent C A, Barbaro J, Dissanayake C. Change in Autism Diagnoses Prior to and Following the Introduction of DSM-5. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders. 47:163-171. DOI 10.1007/s10803-016-2942-y
- Harrop C, Green J, Hudry K. Play complexity and toy engagement in preschoolers with autism spectrum disorder: Do girls and boys differ?. Autism: the international journal of research and practice. 21:37-50. DOI 10.1177/2F1362361315622410
- Uljarevic M, Baranek G, Vivanti G, Hedley D, Hudry K et al. Heterogeneity of sensory features in autism spectrum disorder: Challenges and perspectives for future research. Autism Research: official journal of the International Society for Autism Research . 10:703-710. DOI 10.1002/aur.1747
- Crea K, Dissanayake C, Hudry K. Proband Mental Health Difficulties and Parental Stress Predict Mental Health in Toddlers at High-Risk for Autism Spectrum Disorders. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders. 46:3242-3257. DOI 10.1007/2Fs10803-016-2861-y
- Iacono T , Dissanayake C, Trembath D , Hudry K, Erickson S et al. Family and practitioner perspectives on telehealth for services to young children with autism. Studies in Health Technology and Informatics. 231:63-73. DOI 10.3233/978-1-61499-712-2-63
- Uljarevic M, Katsos N, Hudry K, Gibson J L. Practitioner Review: Multilingualism and neurodevelopmental disorders - an overview of recent research and discussion of clinical implications. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry. 57:1205-1217. DOI 10.1111/jcpp.12596
- Young N, Hudry K, Trembath D, Vivanti G. Children With Autism Show Reduced Information Seeking When Learning New Tasks. American Journal on Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities. 121:65-73. DOI 10.1352/1944-7558-121.1.65
- Senju A, Vernetti A, Ganea N, Hudry K, Tucker L et al. Early Social Experience Affects the Development of Eye Gaze Processing. Current Biology. 25:3086-3091. DOI 10.1016/j.cub.2015.10.019