The ASSC outreach program aims to deliver a suite of activities that increase student capabilities, build self-confidence and raise awareness of career opportunities upon completion of a university degree.
For students in the senior years, activities:
- Build proficiency, knowledge and skills
- Extend capabilities in order to raise attainment and build self confidence
- Link to VCE Study Designs
- Raise awareness of higher education courses and career opportunities
Secondary School Mooting Competition
Curriculum: Year 11 Legal Studies
Dates: May - September
Location: Melbourne (Bundoora) and Bendigo campus
Audience: Northern metropolitan, Bendigo and surrounding secondary school VCE students
The moot competition introduces students to real court-room settings and challenges them to research, prepare and argue a moot criminal problem using appropriate legal terminology before a University expert, barrister or judge.
Participating schools receive:
- Teacher professional development on substantive legal issues and mooting techniques
- Student workshop on legal research and the use of legal databases
- Classroom resources
- Ongoing University support from the La Trobe Law School
- 3 hours coaching for teams from La Trobe Law School students (equity schools only)
The top four teams from the general moot rounds participate in the finals held, when possible, in the Federal Court, Melbourne.