What support is available to students?

Every university and TAFE provides support and services to their students. These services are available to ALL students.

You are no different to any other student who needs help, so do not be afraid to find out what services and supports are provided by your university or TAFE and ask them for help when you need it.

Academic and learning skills

People at the academic and learning skills unit will be able to help you to develop studying and learning skills. They can provide you with tips on how to:

  • organise your study and time management
  • write essays and reports
  • understand your assignment tasks
  • arrange the reference lists and bibliographies
  • read efficiently and effectively
  • improve your language and literacy skills.

The actual name of this unit may be different at your university or TAFE. If you need help with any of these studying and learning skills, go to your university/TAFE website to check which unit provides these services. Email them or go and see them.


We all experience difficult and confusing times in our lives. Your university/TAFE may provide a free counselling service for all students. The information you provide in the counselling sessions is treated as confidential, which means your teachers and other students will not know about anything you say in the sessions.

The types of issues students frequently discuss with counsellors are:

  • anxiety and depression
  • study-related issues
  • difficulties in relationships with other people
  • questions of identity
  • self-esteem and confidence
  • loss and trauma.

If you experience any of these issues and would like to speak to someone, go to your university/TAFE website to find out where the counselling unit is located and who you can contact to set up an appointment.

Careers and employment

It is important for every student to start thinking about their plan for a career early on during their studies. Some questions you can ask yourself are:

  • What would I like to do after I finish my course? 
  • What area interests me? 
  • What kind of job can I imagine myself doing?  
  • What do I need to do to get to my preferred job?

Your institution’s careers and employment unit can help you with answering these questions. They can also help you with job searching, résumé writing, and preparation for interviews.

Disability support unit

Disability support units provide services to empower students with a disability to become independent learners, including students with autism or Asperger’s Disorder. This support can be tailored to your specific learning needs.

If you have been diagnosed with an autism spectrum disorder it is important to talk to a disability advisor as early as possible to discuss supports you may require. It is best to do this before you start the semester to ensure you are not unfairly disadvantaged in your learning by any special needs you may have.

Examples of things disability advisors can help you with include:

  • provide a note taker for taking class notes
  • use a computer for exams instead of paper and pen
  • allow you to complete exams in a separate room
  • provide extensions for assignments
  • adapt your learning environment to reduce noise and other stimuli.

If you have already contacted the disability support unit at your university/TAFE and you are working with a disability advisor to provide you with the support you need, then that is ideal. You have completed the first important task which will ensure you get the best support available.

If you have not yet contacted the disability support and disclosed about your diagnosis, you may like to read more about disclosing you ASD diagnosis to learn more about the reasons for disclosure.

The name of the disability support unit may be different for every university and TAFE. Go to your university/TAFE website to check which unit provides disability support services. Email them or go and see them.

Other services

Your university/TAFE may provide other services such as:

  • clubs and societies
  • financial support
  • housing or accommodation.