The University has strongly improved its performance, achieving top rank – a classification described as 'well above world standard' – in three broad discipline groups: Agricultural, Biological and Physical Sciences.
Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research), Professor Keith Nugent, said an extremely pleasing 82 per cent of La Trobe's research areas were assessed at, above or well above world class.
'This is an exceptionally good outcome that confirms the extraordinary quality of the research that we do at La Trobe,' Professor Nugent said.
Doubling top level research
'These outcomes more than double the number of our individual areas of research at this highest level since the last survey in 2012.'
He said La Trobe maintained its 'well above world standard' research excellence in Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry and Cell Biology, Microbiology and Veterinary Sciences.
The same applied to areas such as Human Movement and Sports Science, Nursing, Medical and Health Sciences, and Archaeology.
La Trobe's emerging strength in Statistics, Neurosciences, Condensed Matter Physics, Optical Physics, Ecology and Physiology, were rated 'well above world standard' for the first time – as was Plant Biology, Zoology, Animal Production, Crop and Pasture Production, Nutrition and Dietetics.
La Trobe was assessed in 20 broad (two digit) Fields of Education and 55 narrow Fields.
La Trobe is:
· The best university in Australia for Biological Sciences (equal with ANU)*
· The best university in Australia for Agricultural and Veterinary Studies*
· The only top-rated university in Australia for Physiology.
· A top 10 university in the number of fields rated at the highest possible level of "well above world standard," and top 10 in the universities with the most growth in top rated Fields of Research.
· 11th in the proportion of fields receiving the top rating at the broad two-digit level.
· 12th in the proportion of fields receiving the top rating at the narrow, four-digit level.
· Top-rated with only three other universities in Australia in Veterinary Sciences, Animal Production, Biochemistry and Cell Biology, and Other Medical and Health Science.
· Top rated with only four other universities in Australia in Archaeology, Analytical Chemistry, Crop and Pasture Production, and Microbiology
· Top in Victoria for: Archaeology, Analytical Chemistry, Tourism, Transportation and Freight, Biological Sciences, including Biochemistry and Cell Biology, Microbiology, Physiology, Plant Biology and Zoology, and Agricultural and Veterinary Sciences, including Crop and Pasture Production and equal first for Animal Production
· Equal first in Victoria for Political Science, Social Work, Soil Sciences, Human Movement and Sports Science, Neurosciences, nursing, nutrition and Dietics, Other Medical and Health Sciences, Statistics, Physical Sciences, including Condensed Matter Physics and Optical Physics
· Top three in Victoria for Accounting, Auditing and Accountability, Banking, Finance and Investment, Pure Mathematics, Inorganic Chemistry, Medicinal and Biomolecular, Genetics, Anthropology, Linguistics
* Based on field receiving a top rating at two-digit level and the number of top-rated fields at the supporting 4-digit level
Media Contact: Ernest Raetz, 041 226 1919 / 03 9479 2315