- Declining student demand, poor student retention and a very high number of subjects offered relative to the number of enrolled students have resulted in the need for this restructure.
- The change process will result in a reduction of up to 37 staff by the end of this year and approximately four positions by the end of 2015.
- The Faculty is not in financial surplus. There is a $4.3M gap in revenue to cost.
- There has been a six week consultation process. Constructive and focused student and staff feedback has been very helpful and listened to and acted upon.
- From 2013 the Bachelor of Arts degree will offer more than 400 subjects in any one year and up to 560 subjects over a two-year cycle. This is either more than or about the same as the other faculties of Humanities and Social Sciences in Victoria.
- The curriculum changes take effect for new enrolments from the start of 2013
- The changes will not affect study programs of existing students. Any subjects and courses students have commenced will continue to be available for them for their normal course duration.
- A new interdisciplinary major (available at the Melbourne and Bendigo campuses from 2014) will allow students to do up to three majors.
- Linguistics, Indonesian, Art History and Gender, Sexuality & Diversity Studies will still be available.
- Religion and Spirituality, and Politics will no longer be offered at the Bendigo campus
- The range of majors in the inter-disciplinary BA will increase at Bendigo
- At the Albury-Wodonga, Mildura and Shepparton campuses the Faculty will move from a three major model to a single integrated major model, which will be known as the Humanities and Social Sciences major.
- No existing student will be disadvantaged. All students will be able to complete the courses they have begun within their normal time-frame.
- New flexible learning options will be investigated by the University with the aim of improving existing channels. These include a range of alternatives such as summer school, online delivery and face-to-face teaching.
For more information or to arrange an interview please contact:
T: 03 9479 5246 M: 0423 783 756 E: email@example.com