New enterprise agreement for La Trobe staff
We are very pleased to announce that the National Tertiary Education Union (NTEU), Community and Public Sector Union (CPSU) and Liquor, Hospitality and Miscellaneous Workers Union (LHMU) have ratified a new enterprise agreement for staff of La Trobe University.
The La Trobe University Collective Agreement 2009 is an important step towards the achievement of La Trobe University's strategic objectives.
The Agreement is one of the first long term agreements fully achieved in the sector and will operate until 30 June 2012. The Agreement has been reached through hard work and cooperative negotiations.
The new Agreement will provide to La Trobe staff:
- A 16% pay increase over four years. In addition to a 2% increase already paid from 4 July 2009 there will be a further 2% increase this year, backdated to 29 August 2009, plus 4% pay increases in each of July 2010, July 2011 and June 2012.
- Improved employment continuity for many fixed term contract staff (academic and general) whose positions are funded by contingent funding and are in research only roles (or positions which directly support those roles). The Agreement provides for automatic conversion for these staff to a Research Continuing contract of employment, without the need for a formal application where staff have at least 4 years continuous service and a further contract of at least 6 months duration.
- Payment for all sessional marking that forms part of the formal assessment for the subject or course, other than marking undertaken during a lecture, tutorial or clinical session.
- An increase to 36 weeks paid maternity leave from 26 weeks for staff with more than 24 months continuous service, whose leave commences on or after 1 January 2010.
- At least 20 Early Career Development Fellowships, which will allow academic staff who have previously been engaged on a casual basis to gain special fixed term contracts.
- A target reduction of 5% of the number of casual staff active on our payroll between 31 August 2009 and 31 August 2012.
- Increase to 25% casual staff loading from the first pay period after 1 January 2010.
- New and streamlined provisions on a broad range of employment issues including workloads, workplace culture and discrimination, flexibility arrangements, intellectual freedom, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander employment strategy, environmental sustainability, dispute settling procedures, classifications, co-ordination responsibility payments for academic staff, grievance procedures, fixed term contracts, union rights and resources, managing change, redeployment and job security.
La Trobe Executive Director, People and Culture, Dr Muyesser Durur, said there was still hard work ahead in bedding down the Agreement. ”The Agreement is a significant achievement for La Trobe University, but there is much work ahead to ensure staff and the University get the full benefits it can deliver and to maximise the University's strategic objectives."
NTEU bargaining team member, Associate Professor Rhonda Small said, “The new category of Research Continuing Employment is a huge step forward for academic and general staff employed in research. The willingness of University senior management to embrace this NTEU initiative means that La Trobe will now give appropriate recognition to the contributions grant-funded staff make to the research output of the university. It puts an end to years of rolling short-term contracts due to the uncertainties of research funding.”
La Trobe media inquiries:
Media & Communications Manager,
La Trobe University
Mobile: 0423 783 756
NTEU media inquiries:
Associate Professor Rhonda Small
Ph: 03 8341 8542
Mobile: 0434 027 760