LTU and NMIT reach understanding
LTU and NMIT reach understanding
11 Dec 2008
New pathways for students leading to better educational opportunities
La Trobe University and NMIT have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) to explore areas of cooperation with the principal objective of providing better educational opportunities for domestic and international students.
“The goal is for both our institutions to better support students, for NMIT students to undertake higher education studies or for La Trobe students to undertake TAFE studies,” said Vice Chancellor of La Trobe University, Professor Paul Johnson.
“We are developing a shared vision for higher education in the region that neatly fits with NMIT’s strategic plans and La Trobe University’s Strategic Plan 2008-2012,” said Professor Johnson.
“NMIT and La Trobe are committed to genuine and ongoing collaboration to further develop our campuses in the Northern region of Melbourne and will work together to maximise opportunities for both the region and the institutions. Both institutions are deeply committed to helping to contribute to the sustainable growth of Melbourne’s North,” said NMIT CEO Brian MacDonald.
Within the context of these established plans and as part of the MOU, both institutions will to develop strategies to:
- Identify and maximise opportunities to advance the strategic objectives of each party
- Allow students who have completed or partially completed an Approved NMIT Course, subject to satisfying La Trobe’s usual admission requirements, to enter the related La Trobe Course with advanced standing
- Allow students who have completed or partially completed an Approved La Trobe Course, subject to satisfying the NMIT’s usual admission requirements, to enter the related NMIT Course with credit transfer and recognition of prior learning.
- Each institution will assist the other to market the courses and agreed advanced standing arrangements to suitably qualified students by holding briefing sessions on campus; by providing course information for inclusion in course information materials and websites; and by maintaining a link from each institution’s website to the others home page or otherwise as agreed separately.
- Both parties will assist the other to market courses and advanced standing arrangements to international students at offshore locations including where NMIT external programs act as a pathway to the University.
- Both parties will assist each other to market the arrangements to secondary school students in agreed localities.
The parties will undertake any other collaborative efforts that both may deem fit from time-to-time including promoting and facilitating demand for study at the institutions (e.g. through articulation pathways, scholarships, international students) and the provision of student support (including accommodation, scholarships, work-experience, employment etc).
Media and Communications Manager,
Media and Communications Unit,
Marketing and Engagement Division
La Trobe University, Victoria 3086, Australia
CRICOS Provider number: 00115M
T +613 9479 5246 F +613 9479 1387 M +61 423 783 756 E M.Pearce@latrobe.edu.au
Manager, Marketing & Corporate Communications,
Northern Melbourne Institute of TAFE
77-91 St Georges Rd., Preston, 3072
CRICOS Provider number: 00724G
T +613 9269 1253 F +613 9269 1203 Mobile: +61 419 541 610