Senior Research Fellow - PNG
Interested in helping lead a Papua New Guinea - Australia Governance Partnership research initiative?
We're hiring a Senior Research Fellow for a full time, 12 month role based at La Trobe University's Melbourne (Bundoora) campus.
In a time of increasing complexity and uncertainty, the Institute for Human Security and Social Change seeks to actively contribute to progressive social change. We aim to do this through becoming increasingly recognised as a resource in re-imagining how social change happens, including the translation of research findings into practice, education and policy. Join us!
About La Trobe and the Institute
The Institute for Human Security and Social Chance (IHSSC) is a not-for-profit, collaborative and university-wide initiative, located within the College of Arts, Social Sciences and Commerce at La Trobe University. The Institute is focused on advancing progressive social change, and providing high quality multi-disciplinary research in the international, Indigenous Australia and domestic community development sectors.
The Institute has a number of applied research projects that operate at the interface between research and practice. Drawing on a decade of research conducted as part of the Developmental Leadership Program, the Institute plays a leading role in designing, implementing and evaluating politically informed programs, supporting reform coalitions, and encouraging developmental leaders in the Asia-Pacific region.
About the role
This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced researcher/research manager to play a leadership role as part of the Institute’s support to the PNG – Australia Governance Partnership; support a strong research and knowledge culture in PNG; and contribute to the development of novel ways of working effectively at the research-practice interface.
Responsibilities will include:
- Contributing to the leadership of the Melbourne-based research team and management of the project.
Building strong relationships with central services groups at La Trobe, particularly Finance, Research Office, Communications and Marketing, to support the effective function of the Institute within the La Trobe environment.
- Developing and maintaining external relationships including with DFAT and international partners to further develop and expand the Institute’s programs.
- Working collaboratively with PNG researchers to undertake research and contribute to knowledge transfer as well as supporting a strong research and knowledge culture in PNG.
- A willingness to travel to PNG frequently and spend time-in country, with an understanding of the risk mitigations required to make such travel safer.
Skills and Experience
To be considered for this role you will have;
- Completion of a PhD or equivalent in a relevant discipline.
- Substantial work experience in Papua New Guinea.
- Experience and demonstrated ability in project/program management.
- Demonstrated ability to build relationships with a range of partners will be critical.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, organisational, and project management skills.
Please click on this link for a full list of benefits.
How to Apply
Please address Key Selection Criteria and attach these with your application.
Closing date: Sunday, 11th February 2018 (11:59pm)
Position Enquiries: Yeshe Smith, Program and Partnerships Manager. TEL: 9479 1110 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Position Description available at Jobs at La Trobe.
This position is open to people with a valid full-time working visa.
All La Trobe University employees are bound by the Working with Children Act 2005. If you are successful, you will be required to hold a valid Victorian Employee Working with Children Check prior to commencement.
La Trobe University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
For further enquiries on how to apply for this role, please contact HR Assist on 9479 1234.