The 14th of August saw La Trobe University host the annual joint meeting for the Confucius Institute's within the Melbourne area.
In attendance were:
- Directors and senior staff from the Confucius Institute's at La Trobe University, RMIT and the University of Melbourne.
- Mr. Jiang Zhao (Chief Education Consul).
- Mr. Gang Chi (Education Consul of the Consulate General of P. R. China E).
- Professor Keith Nugent (Deputy Vice-Chancellor and Vice-President (Research)).
Various achievements were acknowledged by Professor Keith Nugent, as well as the cooperation that has occurred between the three Confucius Institutes within Melbourne. A special mention was made for La Trobe University's CI who have made a wonderful effort towards introducing Chinese culture to the University community.
During the proceedings, Directors of each Confucius Institute reported on the outcomes of the Chinese teaching, culture promotions and business development activities. Each CI displayed distinctive features:
- The CI at the University of Melbourne enjoys a reputation of a high-end Chinese business course.
- The CI at RMIT has been dedicated to the promotion of Chinese medicine and language teaching relating to Chinese medicine.
- The CI at La Trobe University has formed a brand of academic strength with the rising popularity of its seminar series, student forums and research projects supported by Hanban.
Mr. Jiang Zhao noted that the great efforts that have already been made by the three Institute's play an important role in the expansion and impact within the Victorian region.