La Trobe University alumni in Malaysia were invited to participate in an activity-packed weekend in Perlis in northern Malaysia between the 27th and 30th of September 2013.
Representatives of the PALTUM alumni chapter, led by Nur Faradina Mohamed (Bachelor of Computer Science, Bundoora, 1999) were supported by the Alumni and Advancement Office at La Trobe to bring together around more than 50 people including alumni and their families.
The alumni and their families were accompanied by a delegation of staff from La Trobe - Professor John Rosenberg, Senior Deputy Vice-Chancellor and Vice President; Professor Jack Singh, Director of the Centre for Technology Infusion; and Karl Brown, Alumni Relations Coordinator.
The University was humbled and honoured to attract the significant support of one of its most high profile graduates, His Royal Highness The Crown Prince of Perlis DYTM Tuanku Syed Faizuddin Putra ibni Tuanku Syed Sirajuddin Jamalullail. His Royal Highness and his wife, Her Royal Highness The Crown Princess of Perlis DYTM Tuanku Hajjah Lailatul Shahreen Akashah Khalil joined in with the entire weekend of activities, and extended exceptional hospitality to the attendees. They graciously facilitated access to a number of activities and venues, hosted an elaborate dinner with exciting entertainment, and gave everyone the opportunity to sample the delights of nearby Hatyai in Thailand as part of this trip.
The trip consisted of many different activities, including:
- Village style lunch
- Demonstration and exercises at the Kem PLKN Tasoh Army Youth Camp
- Exploration of the Gua Kelam Caves of Darkness
- Bike ride through a rubber tapping forest
(The ride set off from a water bottling plant who had kindly produced a special bottle to commemorate the event and ended at the Tasoh Lake Resort & Retreat with a delicious meal – just in time to get under cover to wait out the rain storm!)
- Visit to the Floating Market, Hatyai with special welcome party
- Visit to Taman Anggur Perlis (the Perlis Grape Garden) with a special treat coming in the form of a Cobra snake dance
- Tour of Rimba Herba Perlis ( the Perlis Herbal Forest)
The first day ended in true party style with a wonderful celebratory diner, the highlight of the day, hosted by the University of Malaysia Perlis (UniMaP), proud La Trobe University partner institution at which His Royal Highness The Crown Prince of Perlis is the Chancellor. Attendees of the dinner included senior staff representatives from UniMaP as well as a number of VIP alumni guests:
- Their Royal Highnesses The Crown Prince and Princess of Perlis
- YAB Dato Abdul Bin Ghani Othman Haji
Former Chief Minister of Johor
- Datin Paduka Professor Dr Jamilah Binti Ariffin
Adjunct Professor, Faculty of Arts & Social Sciences, University of Malaya
- Datin Paduka Professor Dr Khatijah Binti Mohamad Yusoff
Deputy Secretary-General (Science), Ministry of Science, Technology & Innovation
- Prof. Dato' Dr. Zul Azhar Zahid Jamal Deputy
Vice Chancellor, UniMAP
Guests were treated to a delicious three course meal and a wonderful evening of varied entertainment from UniMaP singing and dancing throughout the night.
La Trobe University would like to offer its thanks to the following alumni and organisations for their hard work, support and hospitality during this trip:
- His Royal Highness The Crown Prince of Perlis
- Her Royal Highness The Crown Princess of Perlis
- Nur Faradina Mohamed
- Tan Chee Soon
- Andy Choong
- Anas Akmal Bin Hj Arshad and his team from Unicastana Holidays
You can follow the La Trobe PALTUM alumni chapter on Facebook where you will find two galleries of photos taken by alumni during the trip.