La Trobe University has achieved outstanding results in the latest Excellence in Research for Australia (ERA) 2018 report, with all broad areas of research rated at, above or well above world standard.
The University is one of only 12 universities to achieve 100 per cent world-standard success.
Nationally, La Trobe is the top-rated university for Journalism and Professional Writing and best university for Biological Sciences (equal with ANU and the University of Melbourne). In Victoria, La Trobe is the top-rated university for Agricultural and Veterinary Sciences (see below for further highlights).
Five broad discipline areas (2-digit) were rated well above world standard, six above world standard and eight at world standard. At the narrow discipline level (4-digit), 23 discipline areas rated well above world average, 14 above world average and 17 at world standard.
Vice-Chancellor Professor John Dewar said the results reaffirm the University’s research strengths and cement its standing on the national stage.
“These exceptional results – our best yet – validate the extraordinary quality of our research and reinforce our position as a leading Australian research institution,” Professor Dewar said.
“The upwards trajectory in our performance reflects our strategic investment in key fields, aligned with the transformation of our Research and Innovation Precinct as a core component of our ambitious $5 billion University City of the Future plan.”
Acting Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research) Professor Russell Hoye acknowledged research staff across the University for their vital contribution to these excellent ERA outcomes.
“Our outstanding performance in the latest ERA is testament to the excellence of our research conducted across the University and to the quality of our staff,” Professor Hoye said.
“It is particularly pleasing to see areas that have improved significantly over the past three years – most notably Chemical Sciences, Psychology and Cognitive Sciences, Engineering, Medical and Health Sciences and Law and Legal Studies.”
Highlights – National and State positioning
- The best university in Australia for Biological Sciences (equal with ANU and Melbourne)*
- Best nationally in Journalism and Professional Writing
- Top rated with only two other universities in Australia in Physiology
- Top rated with only three other universities in Australia in Animal Production, Other Medical and Health Sciences, and Banking, Finance and Investment.
- The best university in Victoria for Agricultural and Veterinary Sciences*
- Best in Victoria for Physiology, Crop and Pasture Production, Veterinary Sciences, Other Medical and Health Sciences
- Top rated in Victoria with only one other university for Soil Sciences, Biochemistry and Cell Biology, Genetics, Agricultural and Veterinary Sciences, including Animal Production, Cardiorespiratory Medicine and Haematology, and Banking, Finance and Investment
- Top rated in Victoria with only two other universities in Condensed Matter Physics, Chemical Sciences, including Analytical Chemistry, Civil Engineering, Microbiology, Nutrition and Dietetics, and Biological Sciences including Plant Biology
- Equal first in Victoria for Optical Physics, Medicinal and Biomolecular Chemistry, Ecology, Microbiology, Plant Biology, Zoology, Human Movement and Sports Science, Nursing, Tourism, Anthropology, Social Work, Psychology, Linguistics and Archaeology
- Top three in Victoria for Pure Mathematics, Statistics, Inorganic Chemistry, Ecological Applications, Information Systems, Oncology and Carcinogenesis, Law and Historical Studies
*Based on field receiving a top rating at two-digit level and the number of top-rated fields at the supporting 4-digit level
Full details of La Trobe’s ERA outcomes can be found on the University’s website.