Now that winter is well and truly here, there’s a good chance you’ll be staying late in the library to get those assignments completed. We’ve got security and support services in place for those who like to work late, including security escorts to your car and public transports and a late night shuttle bus service.
Uni-safe is available to escort students after dark between buildings, campus car parks and local transport points.
For all emergencies requiring Police, Fire and Ambulance, call 000 (Triple 0). Then call La Trobe Emergency on: (03) 9479 2222 (all campuses, excluding Bendigo). Contact La Trobe Emergency at Bendigo Campus on: (03) 5444 7999.
We have a monitored network of CCTV cameras across our campuses as well as dedicated on-campus patrols.
The Night Glider Bus
The Glider Bus service provides a transport around the Melbourne Campus day and night.
There is also a live GPS tracker for the bus, so you can tell when it’s nearby.
You can find all of the details here.
We provide a 24/7 security service at La Trobe University and we encourage all students to enter our security number 9479 2222 into their phone at the beginning of the year.
We also have our Safer Community service – our single point of contact for referrals and advice for students and staff on matters relating to any unacceptable behaviour both on and off campus, including sexual harm.
We’re currently undergoing a huge infrastructural upgrade of our public lighting at the Uni and we’ve recently installed 164 new public lights around campus with more to come.
Recent work at the Melbourne Campus
Recent initiatives on the Melbourne Campus have also included:
- The installation, over the summer break, of more than 160 high-intensity energy-efficient lights on footpaths, around residential areas and in public car parks on the Melbourne campus. As part of the University’s planned campus lighting project, more lights are being installed this year
- The creation of a central security hub in the Agora precinct of the Melbourne campus.
- Additional on-campus security patrols, especially in the on-campus residential precinct.
- Planned extension of the free Day Glider campus bus service to non-semester times.
- Detailed planning for a year round Night Glider which will strengthen the previous ‘UNI-Safe’ Escort service in coverage and regularity between the campus, public transport nodes and local neighbourhoods.
- A review of the respectful behaviour training modules available to and/or mandated for students. La Trobe will collaborate with Universities Australia in the roll-out of a new Respect and Equality Program designed to prevent violence against women. In addition, an innovative, evidence-based model used in some Canadian universities to reduce the incidence of sexual assault is being investigated for possible adoption at La Trobe.
- Increased promotion to students of available on-campus security services and support services, including counselling, and meetings with student leaders and student representatives.
- Lobbying of state and local government for safety and lighting improvements at public transport hubs and public places in the area bordering our campus.