Update to International Student Work Information

Are you an international student? Do you know your work rights in Australia?

According to the Australian Government’s Department of Home Affairs, international students on student visas undertaking a degree by coursework (Bachelor degree, or Masters by coursework) are entitled to work 40 hours a fortnight when University is in session, and unlimited hours when the University is on break.

There has been an update to the hours students can work, under certain circumstances.

As outlined on the Department of Home Affairs website, you can work for more than 40 hours a fortnight if you are employed:

  • by an aged care Approved Provider or Commonwealth-funded aged care service provider with a RACS ID or a NAPS ID, before 8 September 2020
  • by a registered National Disability Insurance Scheme provider
  • enrolled in a health care related course and you are supporting the health effort against COVID-19, as directed by health officials
  • in the agriculture sector
  • in the tourism and hospitality sector

These are temporary measures during the COVID-19 pandemic, and will be reviewed by the Government. Continue to check the Department of Home Affairs website for updates on these arrangements.

For more information, visit the Department of Home Affairs website.