Update on Victoria’s COVID restrictions: Access to Childcare 

On Saturday the Premier announced that access to early learning centres, childcare, family day care is restricted to authorised workers/students and vulnerable children only. The Government’s position on how this rule will be implemented has been adjusted over the weekend. The Public Health Directions now clarify that: 

  • Where the family has two parents/guardians, only one parent/guardian (not both) needs to be an authorised worker/student. 
  • The holder of the authorised worker/student permit may be working from home. 

The family must be unable to make alternative child supervision arrangements. 

Parents and carers of vulnerable children can also access childcare, kindergarten and early education centres. In this case, a permit is not required. The criteria of ‘vulnerable children’ is strict, for example children in ‘out of home’ care or linked in with an external care agency.   

Advice to staff and students 

If you need to access childcare to continue with your work or study, you may be eligible under the authorised work/study scheme for a permit. Please discuss your particular circumstances with your subject convenor, placement team (placement students) or supervisor (graduate researcher). For reference, the Government’s list of authorised workers/authorised studies is in the 21 August COVID-19 Update.

For further details see the Permit FAQs 

Updated Permit Form 

The Government released a new template for the permit on the weekend that now includes an ‘access to childcare’ section. The Government has stated that “if you are an authorised worker who was already issued a permit prior to Sunday 22 August 11:59 pm for the purposes of going to your work premises, you can use that permit as proof for childcare purposes”.  Some child care centres may require the new version of the form to be provided. 

Staff/students who have previously been issued a permit and wish to update it with the childcare access version, should contact their School Manager or their local area’s manager (for staff in central administration unit). 

Permits for regional staff and students 

A reminder that permits for regionally-based staff and students are a requirement from midnight Monday 23 August. The University is gathering details of the staff and students needing permits and commenced issuing permits over the weekend.  

If you believe you meet the definition of an authorised worker/student and have not received your permit by 4pm, Monday 23 August, please contact your subject convenor, supervisor (graduate researcher) or the placement team.  They will need to consider whether a permit can be legally issued and approve for this to occur.  You will need to await receipt of the permit before attending the site.   

The permit will be sent to your La Trobe email in-box via AdobeSign.  The link in the permit email should take you to http://latrobe.au1.documents.adobe.com/. It will be sent from a College/School administration account.