In March, the Victorian government introduced a two-year pilot program called the Victorian Sick Pay and Guarantee Scheme, which provides sick/carer’s pay for those doing casual or contract work and cannot work due to illness, injury, caring for someone else and do not have access to paid leave entitlements.
As a student doing casual or contract work, you may be entitled to casual sick pay or carer pay for up to 38 hours per year.
Eligible job Areas
- Food trades or food preparation
- Aged and disability care
- Cleaning and laundry
Sign up in advance and check your eligibility
You must meet certain requirements to sign up and you must be signed up before you can claim sick and carer’s pay. It is recommended you sign up as soon as possible rather than waiting until you are ill.
Basic Eligibility Requirements
- 15 years or older.
- Physically work in Victoria.
- Have the right to work in Australia
- Work an average of 7.6 hours per week or more in an eligible job
- Do not have access to sick and carer’s leave entitlements at any job
Steps to sign up and create an application for the Victorian Sick Pay and Guarantee Scheme
- Complete the Eligibility Checker
- Login to your Service Victoria account or create a new account if you don’t have one
- Review and submit your details
- On your Service Victoria account, submit your ID, proof of work documents and bank details
- You will then be emailed the outcome of your application usually within 5 business days
- If the application is approved, you will be emailed instructions on how to make a claim
Support at La Trobe
For additional support, please contact Financial Counselling or visit www.latrobe.edu.au/financialcounselling.