Submissions for projects in our 2023 Moat Festival and wider 2023 season are now open until Thursday December 1 (for some Moat projects)!
La Trobe Student Theatre and Film is moving towards a student-led, staff-supported program where students can support each other to achieve their creative goals and staff members also work to support and facilitate the program on a University level.
Student theatre has existed at La Trobe since its inception, so we are very excited to continue this long tradition of student-led and student-focused arts offerings.
Proposals you can submit:
- Moat Festival (running in Weeks 7 to 9, 17 April to 7 May 2023)
- Leadership of an existing project (eg. Six Lines Project, LTU Revue, Activate)
- Proposal of a new project (development projects, community events and programmable seasons)
Our primary focuses in 2023 are to increase our reach to our regional campuses, engage with wider La Trobe community and provide broader opportunities for creative artistic expression and development. By creating multiple avenues to get involved, we hope to offer something for everyone!
If you have had something brewing for a while or just want to try something new, we encourage you to propose a project with us! We have no limitations as to who proposes a project with us, but we do want to prioritise opportunities for current and new students at La Trobe. We also welcome proposals from alumni and professionals who wish to collaborate with La Trobe students on a project.
The process around project proposals is new and has been created in collaboration with the STF Creative Programming committee:
- Read through an information guide
- Complete the detailed proposal form in information guide
- Chat about your proposal form with STF staff and/or Creative Programming committee member
There are differing deadlines for proposals pending the type of project.
The key deadlines for Moat Festival are:
- December 1 – Original play, large-scale performance (more than 15 people total involved) and ideas for performance to be developed with an estimated rehearsal/development period of 12 weeks
- January 12 – Pre-existing plays, smaller-scale concepts and ideas to recruit new students during Orientation with an estimated rehearsal/development period of 6 to 8 weeks
All other proposals will be considered and programmed on a rolling basis, but we encourage you to get something in as soon as you can so we can support you as early as possible!
Moat Festival has been a staple of La Trobe Uni since 1984. Originally created as a university-wide arts festival, we want to bring it back to its former glory. Moat Festival will run in Weeks 7 to 9 of Semester 1 2023 (approximately 17 April to 7 May) and we are looking for all kinds of submissions.
This can include:
- Plays and theatre performances
- Workshops and interactive opportunities
- Community events
- Variety performances (music, comedy, dance)
- Arts market and roving activities
- Online offerings
We want Moat Festival to have a cross-campus appeal – so if your idea is for a regional campus, even better!
What we would love to see
- Regional-led and regional-focused activities (La Trobe has a bunch of campuses and we want to try and get to all of them)
- Development projects (ideas you’d love to explore further through a dedicated development and workshop period)
- Student project leaders for existing STF staples and reimagining them for 2023 (eg. Activate, LTU Revue, Short Works)
- Community projects and ideas that are achievable so that a lot of people can get involved
Check out our proposal guide in order to get started on the process.