Chat with a Financial Counsellor from the LTSU and BSA

As you navigate these tricky times you may require a bit of support around your finances. The La Trobe Student Union Financial Counselling Service can be reached via the Chat function on the LTSU website!

Bendigo students still contact their financial councillor, Jenny Elvey, while classes are paused. Contact her on or phone 5441 5277.

How LTSU Chat works

Chat is available here between 9:30 a.m. – 4 p.m. on Monday, Wednesday and Thursday each week. A purple pop-up box will appear on the right hand side of the screen (see below). Don’t worry if it’s offline – send your enquiry anyway and the Financial Counsellor will return your message as soon as they can!

Outside of the Chat hours, or if it’s appearing offline, you can also email a financial counsellor using the purple mail icon at the bottom right of the page (see below). They’ll get back to you as soon as they’re online again.

What is Financial Counselling?

Financial Counsellors are qualified professionals who provide free, non-judgemental,information, support and advocacy to people in financial difficulty. This free service is provided to help all students understand their financial situation and work towards resolving their financial issues. Note: The service is not able to issue material aid, grants or loans.

A Financial Counsellor can help with:

  • Listen to your financial or welfare issue/s and explain what your options are
  • Inform you of your rights and responsibilities, including consumer rights
  • Advocate on your behalf to financial institutions regarding your debt: reduce/defer/waive payments with creditors, access grants or concessions, access to dispute resolution schemes
  • Help you deal with your budgeting and managing your finances – for example, understanding which debts are priorities. This will be very important if debt collection via legal action has commenced.
  • Assist with University grant and loan applications and eligibility, as well as information on available grants, schemes, funds and material aid external to the University.
  • Assist with lodging complaints to various ombudsmen
  • Provide debt advice & options (including creditor negotiation, bankruptcy etc)
  • Assist with developing a money plan (possibly looking for ways for increasing your disposable income)
  • Refer you to other services such as community health, legal or housing support in the community