Celebrate your graduation with your family and friends on campus, with professional photos, full gown, and a degree presentation.
Following approval by the Victorian Government, we are delighted to finally reveal the details of our COVIDSafe graduation celebrations for 2020.
After much speculation, and despite ongoing COVID-19 public health guidelines, we can finally reveal that we can:
- Invite you and your family on campus for the day
- Get you dressed up in your gown and cap
- Present you with your degree
- Provide professional graduation photography
- Open up the best spots on campus for graduation photos
Unfortunately, we cannot provide a full traditional 90-minute graduation ceremony, including an address, to 2020 graduates due to COVID-19 public health restrictions.
It has been an incredibly challenging year for all of our students with the COVID-19 outbreak in Victoria and the consequent public health restrictions. Throughout the year the University has been closely monitoring ongoing restrictions in metropolitan Melbourne in the hope that we can deliver our students a rewarding graduation experience in 2020. With the ongoing easing of restrictions, we’re thrilled that we can now offer our students a really exciting on-campus graduation experience at our Bundoora campus.
What is GradsFest?
We want you to dress up with your family, supporters, and loved ones and attend the Melbourne campus to:
- Finally, wear your hard-earned graduation gown and cap!
- Be awarded your Testamur (degree certificate) at a small ceremony – just for you and your invited guests.
- Have official photos taken by our professional photographers.
- Explore the campus for hot-spots and planned activities.
- Arrange to meet your study buddies
- Stay for a picnic in one of the beautiful gardens and grounds around the campus.
- Enjoy the food and drink from our very own campus retailers in the Agora – graduates who download the Skip App will be offered complimentary coffee.
- Access some of the best photo spots on campus for your family photos.
- Purchase La Trobe merchandise and memorabilia.
- Celebrate YOU and your achievements with family and friends.
How do I register?
Registration is via email invitation. Please check your student and/or personal email for your invitation. Don’t worry if you haven’t received an email yet, the GradsFest dates have been allocated for Semester 1 and Semester 2. If you were due to graduate in May or September you will have already received your email invitation already. For those completing your course in Semester 2, you will receive your invitation once you have completed your course.
What are my graduation options?
You have two graduation options:
Option 1. Attend GradsFest in December
Option 2. Opt-out of attending GradsFest and collect your Testamur from Campus in early 2021 or have it posted to you
Note: GradsFest 2020 will reach capacity – register now to avoid missing out! If you do not choose one of the above options, you will need to request your Testamur online via ASK a Question after the GradsFest concludes.
Can I graduate in 2021 if I’m a 2020 graduate?
No, GradsFest is the COVIDSafe alternative to traditional ceremonies in 2020. We have explored the possibility of deferring ceremonies until 2021, but unfortunately with ongoing COVID-19 restrictions, it is not possible. The complexity and logistics associated with the large cohort of Melbourne graduates (approximately 9,000 graduating students in 2020, plus guests) and a lack of suitable venue means we cannot practically defer all students to a ceremony in 2021 or beyond.
I am a 2020 graduate at a regional campus, what arrangements are in place to celebrate my graduation?
Future COVID-19 restrictions permitting, 2020 graduates at our regional campuses will be recognised at a celebration in 2021.
Where can I find more information about graduating in 2020?
You can find more information and FAQs on the GradsFest website and in your email invitation.