Get the lowdown on placements and Work Integrated Learning

Real world on-the-job experience can make a huge difference when you’re ready to start job hunting. You never know, your placement or internship may even lead to a graduate position.

You may be wondering what the difference is between a Work Integrated Learning (WIL) placement, professional or clinical placement and Industry Based Learning – it’s a fair question!

They’re all a little different, so let’s break it down.

Work Integrated Learning

Work Integrated Learning (WIL) subjects are practical subjects undertaken in an industry setting.

Some courses include core WIL subjects which must be completed in order to be eligible for graduation (refer to your course map), and we also offer a range of elective WIL subjects, both cross-discipline and subject-specific.

WIL subjects generally involve an application process as admittance often requires Subject Coordinator approval. This process can take a little bit of time so we encourage you to start planning your WIL subject the semester before your placement will take place.

La Trobe Civil Engineering student Benjamin completed his Work Integrated Learning placement as a cadet engineer at the North East Project Alliance.

Clinical/Professional Placements

Depending on your course of study, you may have a compulsory placement component which must be completed in order to gain professional accreditation to practice in your field. If you are studying a clinical discipline such as Nursing or Allied Health, or studying for a professional qualification such as Teacher Education, it is likely that you will have a compulsory placement component built into your course.

Industry Based Learning/Industry Projects

This usually consists of a project provided by a professional organisation, attached to an academic subject and undertaken for credit on completion of assessments. IBL is often undertaken in 2nd or 3rd year, with projects being completed as part of a team either on- or off-site of the organisation.