Course transfers are now open for domestic students

Feeling like your course isn’t quite what you expected? Or maybe your interests have changed since you started your course? If you meet the eligibility criteria, you may be able to apply for an internal course transfer:

  • from one La Trobe University coursework degree to another
  • to a different La Trobe University campus.

Course transfers for Semester 1, 2021 are now open for domestic students (international student applications coming soon!)

Am I eligible?

You will need to meet a few conditions before you can apply for a transfer:

  1. You haven’t completed your current course yet.
  2. You want to transfer into the same level of course (e.g. one undergraduate course to another – you can’t transfer from undergraduate to postgraduate).
  3. You aren’t transferring from a health discipline course at one of our regional campuses to a metropolitan campus.

Only domestic students are able to apply at the moment but keep an eye on the course transfer page as international student applications will open soon.

How do I choose a course?

Check the find a course page for available courses and any prerequisite requirements (make sure that you have met these before applying for a course transfer).

You also need to carefully check the course-specific requirements on our course transfer information page if you’re looking at transferring into teaching, law/criminology, health science disciplines or transferring from the La Trobe Rural health school.

How do I apply?

Applications for Semester 1, 2021 are now open for domestic students (international student applications coming soon!)

Click on the ‘Domestic students apply here’ button near the bottom of the course transfer information page, then follow the instructions carefully to apply (you might want to keep the instructions page open in another tab while doing the application).

Tips for applying:

  • If you have used our online course application system before (e.g. you used it to apply for your current course or another course with us) be sure to use your existing Applicant ID and PIN to sign in.
  • In the section that asks for your study history, put in your current La Trobe course
  • Additional supporting documentation is not needed for internal course transfer students and you can ignore any automated emails you receive asking for additional documents.

When do applications close?

All undergraduate Heath Sciences courses (other than the Bachelor of Health Sciences) will close for course transfer at 11pm, Monday 23 November. For all other courses please see the course application closing dates website.

How are course transfer applications assessed?

We consider the following things when assessing your transfer request:

  • the entrance requirements for the new course, including any prerequisites (so double check these for the course you want to transfer into before starting your application)
  • your academic performance in your current course, like your overall grades and Weighted Average Mark (WAM)
  • the number of places available in the course you’re wanting to transfer into versus the number of applicants.

Remember, your internal course transfer application will start being assessed after results have been released, so allow for processing time after that date. We’ll let you know the outcome as soon as we can after this.