This scholarship will help bushfire-affected students get back on their feet

The recent bushfire emergency has been devastating for many Australians and our thoughts are with all communities that are being impacted.

If you are a La Trobe student affected by the 2019-2020 bushfires, you may be eligible for emergency support from La Trobe.

La Trobe has established a residential scholarship open to affected students that will cover the costs of on-campus accommodation for one full year.

The scholarship is open to students seeking University accommodation at La Trobe’s Bundoora, Bendigo, Shepparton or Albury-Wodonga Campuses.

Applications for the scholarship are now open.

Eligibility criteria

To apply for this scholarship, applicants must:

  • Be an Australian or New Zealand citizen, or holder of an Australian permanent resident visa or permanent humanitarian visa
  • Be a commencing or current student that is intending to apply, has applied, or is returning to live on a La Trobe University residence at the Bundoora, Bendigo, Shepparton or Albury-Wodonga Campuses in Semester 1, 2020
  • Have lost your primary residence or experienced displacement for an extended period of time as a result of the Summer 2019-2020 bushfires in Victoria or NSW.

How to apply?

Complete and submit this online application form.

For any further enquiries, email

Additional support for students affected by the bushfire emergency

This is one of several ways La Trobe University is assisting its students who have been impacted by the 2019-2020 Australian bushfire crisis.

Other supports include:

  • A dedicated ASK La Trobe team ready to answer questions for bushfire-affected students.  You can contact this team by calling 1300 LA TROBE (1300 528 762) and choosing Option 4.
  • Free counselling service (9am – 5pm weekdays) or the La Trobe University Crisis Line, which can be reached by phoning 1300 146 307 or texting 0488 884 100 (5pm – 9am weekdays, 24 hours weekends and public holidays). 
  • La Trobe is offering grants to bushfire affected students. You can discuss this with the ASK La Trobe help teams too.

Remember to seek academic support from your subject coordinator and to apply for an extension or special consideration if required.

Please read our Bushfire emergency support FAQ for detailed information about these supports.