Frequently Asked Questions

What is a "non-traditional research output" (NTRO)?

A non-traditional research output is anything which is not in a standard text-based format. ERA defines eligible NTROs as:
  • Original Creative Works
  • Live Performance of Creative Works
  • Recorded/Rendered Creative Works
  • Curated or Produced Substantial Public Exhibitions and Events
  • Research Reports for an External Body

Why are they being collected now?

These are being collected now to align the creative works collection process with the ERA collection. It also allows for these outputs to be included in the academic workload management system for academic staff.

What data is collected for NTROs?

We are collecting data describing the research output, which is called metadata. The type of data provided will vary according to the type of output, but will include statements regarding research background, research contribution and research significance. We are also collecting outputs/evidence.

For the AWPS, what years do I need to enter into My Publications?

Enter the information and lodge the evidence for 2013 and 2014 outputs only. This will be combined with what was already in ResearchMaster for 2009 to 2012. There is no opportunity now to report outputs from 2012 or earlier.

Can I enter 2015 publications too?

You can enter and lodge outputs from 2015 on, for future ERA submissions. The next ERA is in 2018, so it will measure 2011 – 2016 outputs and data.

Some reports are not allowed to be shared without permission of the body who commissioned them.
Is it a requirement that the report is in the public domain to be counted in the AWPS?

Non-traditional research outputs that are sensitive in nature will not be excluded from consideration in the AWPS (even if they are not in the public domain). You must submit the output/report to be lodged in the repository as a restricted document for it to be assessed for the AWPS. Contact libraryresearchsupport@latrobe.edu.au if you have any questions about the submission of the report.

How do I provide evidence for a non-text based work?

We will need to record your non-text based work in the most appropriate form possible. This might be a recording of a dance, scan of an exhibition catalogue, photo of a sculpture, or a combination of several types.

What do I do with my actual output/evidence?

You will need to provide the Library with the evidence, so that it can support your submission. We can collect this from you e.g. on a USB, or you can drop it in at your Campus Library.

What happens if I use a URL to refer to my evidence, but the website later moves or disappears?

Library staff will secure an archived copy of the URL which can be kept in perpetuity.

If my evidence is a DVD, will the Library convert to digital format?

Yes, the Library will convert the DVD or CD to a digital format which can be stored and accessed.

Why does an "author" prompt appear for a visual work when there is no author?

The term "author" is hard-coded into the program, and should be used for "creator" or someone with prime relationship to the work

Can I add a co-author to the NTRO record I am creating?

Adding a co-author can be done as the original record is being created. The other authors can then claim the work for themselves.

Do I need to add Field of Research (FOR) codes?

Yes. You can enter these in the designated field in the My Publications form. Either select from a list of FOR codes or add a four digit code for your NTRO.

What do I need to know about Research Statements?

Research Statements are required for all NTROs except Research Reports for an External Body. Please refer to the Research Statement Guide in My Publications. Contact Professor Sue Martin APVCR at ASSCResearch@latrobe.edu.au if you need additional details.

Can I use the staff report from Research Master to add my NTROs to "My Publications"?

You can use the information from Research Master to create your manual entries, but it will not export directly to "My Publications".

Directions are below:
  • Upon clicking the Research Master link, staff will be prompted to add their staff ID but must include the leading zeros, e.g. 00054321, NOT 54321.
  • It should be noted this is a complete list of NTROs captured on Research Master, hence it will include items published/created prior to 2009 which is outside the APWS assessment period.
  • The report is sortable by Year or Publication Category by clicking the Up/Down arrow next to the column heading.
  • To print a pdf of the report, click the Print icon in the tool bar. You can also export the data to excel.
  • Tip: A prolonged period of web browser inactivity will auto-time out the user and cause an error message to appear when attempting to refresh the report. Close the browser and re-open the report via the link.

Some of my 2009-2013 records are not included in the report link?

The report displays 2002-2013 NTRO records that have been captured in past collections and stored in the Research Master (RM) database. You have the opportunity however to add any missing NTROs from 2013 or beyond only, and this must be carried out via the MyPublications web site.

Why isn't my output displaying in Research Master even though I have manually added it to My Publications?

It may take several weeks for the data to be migrated to Research Master. Re-run the report later in the month.

If I am no longer in the same position within the new La Trobe structure, can I (or should I) claim a NTRO from 2013 or 2014?

If you were an academic during the 2013/2014 period and produced research outputs, you are entitled to submit them. (If you are no longer in an academic position, the workload points system will not be relevant to you.)

What happens if I am on leave?

You can delegate My Publications account access to other College staff to deposit on your behalf. Alternatively you can contact the Library to have the staff log in to do this for you, but you must remember that they can only work with the research data descriptions which you provide them with.

How are authors apportioned in NTRO?

All authors will be allocated equal whole points for that record.

Where can I find more information about the process and ask questions?

Researchers will be responsible for adding their outputs, and support (including training, one to one assistance and help guides) will be available from the Library Research Team. Queries/problems can be directed to our email query service: libraryresearchsupport@latrobe.edu.au. Please note that this email service is dedicated to answering queries about the collection of outputs.

For other queries contact Professor Sue Martin APVCR at ASSCResearch@latrobe.edu.au and to find out more about the planned AWPS allocation process for 2016 please visit the AWPS website on the intranet, under 'Strategy and Management'.