Resources and Support

Support for researchers

Support for researchers

Researching family violence, sexual violence or similar topics, can be a rewarding and empowering field of research. However, it is possible to experience vicarious trauma, stress or other emotions when researching in this area.

La Trobe University staff can access psychological support through the Employee Assistance Program (EAP). Simply look up the EAP on the La Trobe staff intranet.

In addition, Staff Health and Wellbeing provides a confidential information, support and referral service to staff. Email: or complete a referral form on the Staff Wellbeing Connect intranet page.

Support for students

Support for students

La Trobe wellbeing offers a range of services including:

Family and sexual violence support

Family and sexual violence support

Family violence can impact people from across the community and there are services available to assist you. ReGeN is not a direct service and we cannot provide direct assistance. We have a list of available services below for anyone experiencing family violence or supporting a loved one.

  • If you are in immediate danger, please call 000.
  • If you need an interpreter, you can phone the National Translating and Interpreting Service on 13 14 50.
  • If you are deaf or have hearing or speech impairment, please call the National Relay Service: TTY/Voice calls – 133 677 or Speak and Listen 1300 555 727.

Please note, if there is a possibility someone is monitoring your internet use, make sure you clear your browser history after looking at this page.

Support ServiceContactAbout


1800 737 732

National sexual assault, domestic, family violence counselling service

Safe Steps Family Violence Response Centre

1800 015 188

Victoria’s family violence support service

Sexual Assault Crisis Line (SACL)

1800 806 292

State-wide, after-hours, confidential, telephone crisis counselling service for people who have experienced both past and recent sexual assault


1800 105 3030

Djirra is a place where culture is shared and celebrated, and where practical support is available to all Aboriginal women and particularly to Aboriginal people who are currently experiencing family violence or have in the past.


1800 184 527

Counselling for LGBTIQ+ people, by LGBTIQ+ people


1800 755 988

Multicultural centre against family violence

Men's Referral Service

1300 766 491

A national counselling, information and referral service for men who use family and domestic violence. If you are concerned about your behaviour, or about someone using violence, contact Men’s Referral Service.