Renting vehicles

Renting vehicles within Australia

Whenever possible GoGet vehicles should be utilised instead of hiring vehicles.  Where GoGet is not available you will need to purchase motor vehicle insurance via the hire car company as part of the rental arrangement.

Renting motor vehicles overseas

When renting a vehicle while travelling outside Australia on an authorised University trip, insurance on the vehicle must be purchased as part of the rental arrangement. The University insurance does not cover the vehicle rented overseas but will provide cover up to $5,000 for the cost of any rental vehicle collision damage and theft excess.

It is a requirement of the University that the person hiring the vehicle must take up insurance for own damage of the motor vehicle and liability insurance for third party property damage and third party bodily/personal injury arising out of the use of the motor vehicle offered by the rental organisation. You must also purchase from the rental organisation maximum available (including optional) liability insurance for third party bodily/personal injury and property damage during the rental period.

It is further required that the hirer must comply with all terms and conditions as per the rental agreement.

  • Rental vehicle – means an automobile (other than a truck, motorcycle, moped or trailer) rented or hired from a licensed motor vehicle rental company.
  • Off road - means the use of the rental vehicle other than on a carriageway (whether sealed or unsealed) which is maintained by a local Council Shire Government body company or private individual.

Tips on renting vehicles

Things you need to do before you drive away in your rental car.

In the car rental office

  • Buy as much insurance as possible from the car rental company for:
    • liability insurance for your passengers, those in other vehicles and also pedestrians
    • liability insurance in case you hit another vehicle
    • the rental car itself
  • Read the insurance provisions provided by the car rental compnay, as some don't cover underbody or overhead damage, water damage, driving on unmade roads, if you are speeding or guilty of significant negligence, etc.
  • Ask about the maximum sum payable under the liability cover - if it is not at least $1,000,000 try to increase it to at least this amount or consider renting elsewhere.
  • Make sure the excess you take is the lowest amount available from the car rental company.

In the car

  • Make a note of the car's make, model, colour, registration no. and carry it with you.
  • Check the car for damage and point out any damage to rental company before you drive away. Make sure you know how to remove the ignition key, lock and unlock the car, find the petrol tank and open the cap and ask what fuel is used.
  • Test the horn, headlights, indicators, windwhield wipers, etc.
  • AND familiarise yourself with the local traffic laws.