Staff / students
Driving University vehicles
- For staff/students driving University vehicles cover is provided for any damage caused to University vehicles and for any claims for damage caused to other vehicles or property.
- Staff/student's school or department is responsible for the excess, which varies according to the driver's age and driving experience, together with the degree of fault involved.
- The Insurance Office handles all claims for damage to University vehicles and if the accident was the University driver's fault, the Insurance Office would also handle claims from others for damage to their vehicles or property.
- If an insurance company or solicitor contacts you as a driver regarding a motor vehicle claim with their client, please refer them to the Insurance Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 03 9479 1238.
Driving own vehicles
- Staff/students private vehicles/motorcycles are NOT insured by the University.
- If students use their own vehicles/motorcycles to travel to locations for outside placement, fieldwork or other work undertaken off campus any damage caused to other vehicles or property is NOT insured by the University.
- It is the responsibility of staff/students to insure their own private vehicles/motorcycles.
Injured in an accident
- Medical, hospital and similar costs for drivers, passengers or pedestrians arising from accidents involving registered motor vehicles/motorcycles are covered by the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) in Victoria or CTP (Compulsory Third Party) Insurers in other States & Territories.
Ambulance Costs (Out of Pocket Expenses – Up to $13,000 of cover subject to a $100 excess) under La Trobe’s Group Personal Accident Policy (93112602) for Students shall only apply whilst on Campus and/or engaged in University / Course / Sport / Club related activities and/or practical placement or community placement activities and/or voluntary work and/or unpaid work placement undertaken with the knowledge and consent of the University including Your necessary direct travel to and from such activities within Australia and overseas.
Outside of La Trobe approved activities or placement, you may wish to take out Ambulance Victoria Membership through https://www.ambulance.vic.gov.au/membership/ or call 1800 64 84 84
Prices as at 4 December 2018
Single – Quarterly $11.79 / 1 Year Membership $47.15 /
3 Year Membership $141.45 or 5 Year Membership $235.75
Family – Quarterly $23.59 / 1 Year Membership $94.35 /
3 Year Membership $283.05 or 5 Year Membership $471.75
Students driving host organisation's vehicles
- The University insurance does NOT apply if a student is involved in an accident whilst driving a host employer's vehicle. It is the responsibility of the host organisation to insure their own vehicle.
Students driving personal vehicles of staff with owner's approval
- The University insurance does NOT apply if a student is involved in an accident whilst driving a personal vehicle of their supervisor or other staff member.
- It is the responsibility of the staff member to insure their own vehicle.