Driver's licences

Before any person drives a University vehicle:

  • the proposed driver needs to have an appropriate driver's licence,
  • the employee who has booked the vehicle has to ensure the proposed driver is appropriately licensed
  • the proposed driver must have a zero blood alcohol reading and not have any illicit drugs in his/her blood immediately before or whilst driving the vehicle.

If a University vehicle is damaged in a collision where the driver is not properly licensed, the University or its insurers may seek to recover costs associated with damage directly from the driver of the vehicle and the driver may be charged under road laws applicable to the state in which they are driving.

Loss of licence

Anyone disqualified from driving in any State or Territory in Australia or in another country or whose licence or permit has been suspended cannot drive in Victoria.

Interstate or overseas licences

Drivers without a Victorian driver's licence should check to ensure they are not breaking the law - if they do not hold a valid licence or permit and are involved in an accident, they will be regarded as driving without a licence and fined and have to reimburse the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) for any bodily injury claims paid by them and will also be liable for all claims for vehicles and other property damaged due to their negligence.

The following links detail the appropriate license permits for overseas and interstate, and New Zealand license holders and details the need to change your license to a Victorian driver license depending on whether your stay is temporary or permanent.

Section 221 of the Road Safety (Drivers) Regulations 1999 prohibits from driving in Victoria any person who has an appropriate licence or permit issued in:

  • another State or territory in Australia or in New Zealand when the holder has resided in Victoria for a continuous period of more than three months.
  • another country and written in the English language (or accompanied by an accurate english translation) when the holder has held a permanent visa under the Migration Act 1958 for more than 3 months.
  • another country and who also has a current International Driving Permit where the holder has held a permanent visa under the Migration Act 1958 for more than 3 months.

The need to change your overseas driver licence to a Victorian driver licence depends on whether your stay in Victoria is permanent or temporary.

Further reading