Strategic Partnerships & Precincts
We are working to forge strong industry partnerships that are global, multi-disciplinary and co-operative; partnerships that bring researchers, students, governments, industry, alumni and communities together for mutual benefit.
Our partnerships span a wide range of sectors and have a strong entrepreneurial focus.
By making these connections we are addressing some of industry’s key challenges and converting knowledge to benefit local and international communities.
We are on the move
- We are ranked in the top 1.2% of universities with world leading research in areas as diverse as biological, chemical and health sciences, archaeology and engineering.
- Every three years Australian universities are assessed on their research performance against international benchmarks in the Excellence for Research Australia (ERA) exercise. In 100% of the broad fields of research in which La Trobe were assessed in 2018 we rated well above, above or at world standard.
- We rated well above world standard (the top rating) in the key Agri-food areas: Crop and Pasture Production, Genetics, Soil Sciences, Biological Sciences, and Plant Biology.
- Our research rated above world standard for Artificial Intelligence and Image. Processing, Information Systems and Civil Engineering.
- We are the largest employer in the area and enjoy proximity to, as well as partnerships with, a number of highly regarded hospital networks.
- Projected population growth and government investment in jobs and transport links is expected to attract greater numbers of tertiary qualified knowledge workers to the region.
- We represent Australia’s largest university owned and managed network of R&D technology parks with metropolitan campuses in Melbourne and campuses in the regional Victorian cities of Bendigo, Shepparton, Albury-Wodonga and Mildura.
- Our regional campus network provides access to a range of population samples for research projects as well as local industry across Victoria and parts of NSW.
- We are on track to achieve our carbon neutral target by 2029 and already boast a six star energy rating.
- We have an Industry PhD.
- We understand co-production of research.
- Our Eco-corridor (Nangak Tamboree) signifies the University’s commitment to supporting local ecology and flora and fauna diversity.
Learn more about our world class rankings
Read about our world-class research and innovation capabilities in 3 key areas
Agribioscience and sustainable food solutions
We are working towards meeting the agricultural production needs of Victoria and the world. Learn more (PDF 738KB)
Health and well being
We are creating a world-class Health and Well being Hub on its Melbourne campus (Bundoora). Learn more (PDF 463KB)
Digital technology and cyber
We are at the forefront of research and education in the areas of cybersecurity and intelligence and big data. Learn more (PDF 360KB)