Rural Road Trauma Research Hub
La Trobe University has proposed to establish the Rural Road Trauma Research Hub at our Bendigo Campus, in an effort to reduce the number of deaths and injuries on Australia’s rural and regional roads.
Rural and regional communities bear a disproportionate level of burden associated with death and injury arising from road trauma. Although, in 2017, 60 per cent of all deaths on Victorian roads occurred in regional Victoria, only 24 per cent of the population lived outside the Melbourne metropolitan area. This picture is replicated across other States and Territories.
The Hub would combine complementary research expertise from across our Bendigo Campus, including rural health, psychology, pharmacy, engineering, planning, education and law. As part of this innovative model, research would focus on working with rural and regional communities to reduce the disproportionate number of people who die and are seriously injured on Australia’s rural roads each year. The Hub will be well placed to address the recommendations of the National Road Safety Strategy 2011-2020, including improving data collection.
La Trobe University seeks to engage and partner nationally and internationally with regional and rural communities, health and education stakeholders, and government agencies at all levels, to develop innovative, workable solutions to reduce the human and economic cost of road trauma.
The Hub has attracted strong community support from a range of partners and stakeholders, including:
- Ms Lisa Chesters MP, Federal Member for Bendigo
- Bendigo Health
- City of Greater Bendigo
- Victoria Police
- Vic Roads.
For more information, to partner with us or to register your support for this proposal, please contact one of the following:
News and media
- Proposal to Tackle Road Trauma
- Let’s tackle rural road trauma head on [external link]
- La Trobe University’s plans to create a regional road trauma hub at its Bendigo campus praised by police, personal injuries lawyer [external link]
- La Trobe University unveils ambitious plan to create a national road trauma research hub at its Bendigo Campus [external link]
- Bendigo Community Road Safety Forum to hear John Maher shares daughter Carmen's story [external link]
- Bendigo Community Road Safety forum booked out, police say [external link]
- Bendigo SES crew become state's road crash rescue champions [external link]