Benefits of co-location
The Research and Innovation Precinct strives to provide a place for business to flourish. Co-located partners will have access to support from our dedicated team with tailored assistance to find University researchers, facilities and infrastructure. This support includes:
- Introductions to academics and researchers across all La Trobe campuses, Colleges and Schools
- Access to student groups, Work Integrated Learning Placement options and higher degree student internships
- Facilitation of research collaboration opportunities with our colleagues in Industry Engagement, Research Office and Research Capability including assistance to find relevant grant and funding schemes and referral to business support such as the La Trobe Accelerator
Whether you are a start-up in need of an office or a launch-pad in a beautiful, vibrant environment, or an established SME or company seeking to expand or to build larger premises, the Precinct is designed to help you thrive.
For those who want more, our co-located partners also have opportunities to collaborate with the best minds and networks across Health & Wellbeing, Agriculture, Food & Environment, and Digital Transformation domains.
Affordable office space in a beautiful natural environment
Competitively priced office space is available for short and long-term leases. Our partners range from small 1-2 team start-ups through to large multinationals who want all the benefits of co-locating with a university.
World-leading capability and expertise
La Trobe’s world-leading researchers across the domains are the ‘go-to' names in relevant fields of work. They are renowned for excellence within the domains of Health & Wellbeing, Agriculture, Food & Environment, and Digital Transformation.
Need a landing pad in Australia?
If you are looking to establish your business in Australia, the Research and Innovation Precinct offers opportunities to collaborate with leading researchers, and be amongst the dynamic business environment of Melbourne’s north with easy access to the airport, the CBD, and residential and manufacturing centres. Space is available to rent (in the short term or long term) with access to the buzz and facilities of La Trobe’s campus and your potential graduate workforce. Precinct Partners will have the benefit of facilitated networking with the growing community of innovative firms that have already established their businesses on campus.
World-class facilities at the right price
Collaboration and innovation spaces feature throughout the Research and Innovation Precinct and are accessible to co-located partners. We take the time to understand what your company needs, the type of facilities, know-how and expertise you need to access, and we help you plan. From here you can build, scale or tailor at your own pace.
Collaboration in a rich ecosystem
The Research and Innovation Precinct offers a rich network of anchors, SMEs and start-ups, which span entire industry value chains. Partners collaborate formally with each other and with La Trobe researchers, as well as informally through networking and the serendipitous opportunities that come about through co-location.
Access to a talent pipeline
For industry partners, the Research and Innovation Precinct team facilitates direct access to top-ranked, multilingual undergraduate, Master's and PhD students.
With students from over 70 different countries, we can provide you with an internationally savvy pipeline of employees that brings together a vast range of skill sets and local knowledge to help you with your international expansion plans.
Many of our students are enrolled in courses that are increasingly co-designed with industry, helping ensure they are equipped to meet the current and future challenges of their professions.
Whether it be interns, research students, researchers or graduates with previous industry experience, our team can help connect you with the right students for your business.
Some of our programs include:
Students enrolled in the La Trobe Industry PhD undertake a research project that addresses real-world challenges identified by and of critical importance to the industry partner. Through the program, industry partners get access to our world-leading research capabilities to help solve their business challenges, increase their performance and develop a culture of innovation.
We offer industry internships to Master's by Research and PhD students in various disciplines through our collaboration with APR Intern. The internships are approximately four to five months' duration and focus on clearly defined research projects within industry organisations.
By partnering with us, you can help students gain practical industry experience while studying, making them work ready. Students in turn can apply what they have learned in the classroom to real-world practice, bringing a fresh perspective to the workplace.
Part of a community
There’s something special about being on a university campus. With over 30,000 students, and 3,000 academic and professional staff from all over the world here to teach , study or learn, there’s an openness and vibrancy that sets us apart from corporate precincts.
Our curated approach to co-located partners means that you will be located near start-ups, SMEs and corporates that share values in innovation, research and engaging and building their future workforce in Australia and overseas.
All the facilities that your team needs are located on campus; medical centre, childcare, cafes and restaurants, licensed bars, venue hire, bank, post office, library, telecommunication providers, supermarket, retail and convenience stores, gym, sporting ovals, a pool and basketball courts.
Liveability and affordability for employees
Melbourne is routinely ranked first or second in the world for liveability. Melbourne’s north provides employees with attractive lifestyle choices with distinct, diverse and affordable multicultural neighbourhoods within easy reach of the campus and Melbourne’s CBD.
The Research and Innovation Precinct’s natural surroundings and vibrant native animal population provide a tranquil setting for your team to enjoy. The University’s commitment to sustainability for is an increasing drawcard for corporates and individuals.
Brand equity and alignment
The Research and Innovation Precinct, in collaboration with industry and the community, exists to solve real-world regional and global challenges for the betterment of our society and environment, through the advancement and application of knowledge and learning. Industry partner brands are prominent within the Precinct, visually and through activities that showcase their capability.
Co-location fast facts
- Offices and facilities at competitive prices
- Greenfield development options
- A diverse community hosting over 33,000 students and over 3,000 academic and professional staff from 97 countries
- Access to a growing entrepreneurial ecosystem where industry and academia connect physically and digitally to solve real-world challenges
- A place for recreation and socialising positioned in beautiful surrounds with easy connections to Melbourne’s CBD and easy access to Victoria’s regional centres
- Access to new talent with job-ready skills, education and training including multilingual undergraduate, Master's and PhD students, enabling you to easily upskill your workforce
- Access to over 1,280 experts across 38 specialist research centres in the areas of Health & Wellbeing, Digital Transformation, and Agriculture, Food & Environment
La Trobe Precinct Fast Facts
- Located at one of the highest-ranking universities in the world (top 1.3%)
- co-location with leading research groups, start-ups, government agencies and multinational companies
- 14 km from Melbourne CBD and halfway between city centre and outer north Melbourne
- La Trobe University is an integral part of the La Trobe National Employment and Innovation Cluster (NEIC)
- domestic and international airport and quarantine services nearby
- 6 km to Metropolitan Ring Road (M80) and 9 km to Eastern Freeway (M3)
- central location for greater Melbourne in one of the largest green spaces in Melbourne’s north
- La Trobe University is the largest single provider of employment and education in Melbourne’s north
- easy access to planned NorthEastlink and highways
- situated 30 min (18 km) from Melbourne’s Tullamarine
- close access to West Heidelberg industrial estate
- dynamic environment with 33,000 students