Latin American History
Brazilian history especially the Getulio Vargas era; aural history (history through music and popular culture) in Latin America, the Caribbean, Lusophone (Portuguese speaking) Africa and East Timor; and international relations in particular United States foreign policy in Latin America and the Caribbean.
Faculty Research Focus
- Brazilian history
- United States foreign policy in Latin America and the Caribbean
- Contemporary Cuban literature
The College will consider any research topic that interests potential PhD students; however, students will benefit from researching in areas that align with the College’s strengths. Please contact us to discuss your PhD topic.
Alternatively you may contact one of our academics below to discuss your area of interest.
- Colonial and post colonial studies - Professor Barry Carr
- Contemporary Political Issues / Venezuela - Dr Raul Sanchez Urribarri
- Indigenous history - Dr Claudia Haake
- Latin American history - Dr Ralph Newmark
- Mexico and Guatemala - Dr Claudia Haake
- United States foreign policy in Latin America and the Caribbean - Dr Ralph Newmark