Mr Christopher John Roche
Chair in International Development & Senior Research Partner with the Developmental Leadership Program, Associate Professor & Director of the Institute for Human Security and Social Change
College of Arts, Social Sciences and Commerce
Humanities and Social Sciences
HU3 307, Melbourne (Bundoora)
Institute for Human Security and Social Change
B.A. (Hons) Geography, Liverpool University, UK & M.Phil Geography, Liverpool University, UK
Membership of professional associations
Member of the Australasian Evaluation Society; La Trobe University representative on the Strategic and Scientific Advisory Committee of the Australian Research Centre in Sex, Health and Society (ARCSHS),
Area of study
Chris has over 25 years’ experience working for International NGOs as a project manager, evaluator, policy researcher and as a director. He joined La Trobe in 2012 and is the director of the Institute for Human Security and Social Change and Senior Research Partner with the Developmental Leadership Program. He is particularly interested in understanding how social change happens, who is involved, and how the effectiveness of attempts to promote change is assessed. Chris is keen to develop new linkages between academia and development agencies and is keen to hear ideas and proposals about how best to make this happen.
International Aid and Development
- Complexity, power and politics
- Leadership, networks and coalitions
- Monitoring, evaluation and impact assessment of development programs and processes
- Poverty, gender relations and inequality
- Role of civil society in social change
- Role of international actors (aid agencies, NGOs, social movements) in supporting local process of social change
- Social accountability and learning as a force for change
- POL5ISD - Issues in International Development
Recent work with DFAT (formerly AusAID), the Central Land Council, Caritas, Anglican Overseas Aid, Cardno, the Developmental Leadership Program and the Pacific Leadership Program
- 2018 ‘Inside the black box of political will: 10 years of findings from the Developmental Leadership Program’ with Hudson, D., Mcloughlin, C., and Marquette, H. Development Leadership Programme, University of Birmingham.
- 2018 ‘Developmental Leadership: What it is, why it matters, and how it can be supported’, with Hudson, D., Mcloughlin, C., and Marquette,H. Development Leadership Programme, University of Birmingham
- 2018 ‘The Bigger Picture: Gender and Politics in Practice’, with Cox,J., Derbyshire, H., Gibson, S., and Hudson, D. Development Leadership Programme, University of Birmingham
- 2018 ‘Briefing Note: Politically Informed, Gender Aware Programming: Five Lessons from Practice’, with Derbyshire, H., Gibson, S., and Hudson, D., Gender and Politics in Practice, Development Leadership Programme, University of Birmingham
- 2018 ‘From Silos to Synergy: Learning from Politically Informed, Gender Aware Programmes’, with Derbyshire, H., Siow, O., Gibson, S., and Hudson, D., Gender and Politics in Practice, Development Leadership Programme, University of Birmingham
- 2018 'Power Politics & Collective Action: Lessons for supporting gendered coalitions' with T. Brimacombe, Development Bulletin 79.
- 2017 'The Developmental Leadership Program: Implications for the Humanitarian System', Asia Pacific Humanitarian Leadership Conference, Conference Proceedings.
- 2016 ‘Power, Politics and Coalitions in the Pacific: Lessons from collective action on gender and power’ with Gillian Fletcher and Tait Brimacombe, DLP Research Paper, Birmingham
- 2016 ‘Working towards Transformational Development and the Sustainable Development Goals’ with Annette Madvig, Institute for Human Security and Social Change Research report, La Trobe
- 2015 ‘The politics of juggling multiple accountability disorder’ in Eyben et al (2015) The Politics of Evidence and Results in International Development: Playing the game to change the rules?
- 2015 ‘The Politics of Evidence and Results in International Development: Playing the game to change the rules?’ with Eyben, R. Guijt, I. Shutt, C. Practical Action, Rugby, UK
- 2014 'A Changing Landscape for Partnerships: The Australian NGO experience' with Linda Kelly in Rethinking Partnerships in a Post-2015 World: Towards Equitable, Inclusive and Sustainable Development, Reality of Aid Report 2014, p.60-68
- 2014 The End of the Golden Age of NGOs? with Andrew Hewett, in 'Development futures: alternative pathways to end poverty', Development Bulletin, No. 76 August 2013, p.27-31
- 2014 Independent Evaluation of the Central Land Council's community development and governance programs
- 2014 Does Impact Evaluation in Development Matter? Well, It Depends What It’s For! European Journal of Development Research Vol 26:1 46-54, with Irene Guijt
- 2014 'Partnerships for Effective Development' with Linda Kelly and Fiona Donohoue, ACFID research report
- 2013 ‘Reconceptualising Development: the painful job of thinking’ with Andrew Hewett in Damien Kingsbury, Reconceptualising Development, Palgrave.
- 2012 ‘ Monitoring and Evaluation When Politics Matters’ with Linda Kelly, Developmental Leadership Program, Background Paper No.12
- 2012 ‘ The Evaluation of Politics and the Politics of Evaluation ’ with Linda Kelly, Developmental Leadership Program, Background Paper No.11
- 2012 ‘Security From Below: An Alternative Perspective on Human Security’ with Gerhard Hoffstaedter, in Altman, Camilleri, Eckersley and Hoffstaedter (2012) ‘Why Security Matters: Rethinking Australian foreign policy ’, Allen & Unwin
- 2011 ‘All the world's a stage: Structure, Agency and Accountability in International Aid’, with Gerhard Hoffstaedter, Journal of the Asia-Pacific Economy Vol 16:4 529-543
- 2010 Edited book ‘Ethical Questions and International NGOs’, with Keith Horton, Springer
- 2010 ‘The Seeming Simplicity of Measurement’ chapter in Horton and Roche (2010) ‘Ethics and International NGOs’, Springer
- 2010 ‘ Promoting Voice and Choice: Exploring Innovations in Australian NGO Accountability for Development Effectiveness’ , ACFID,
- 2009 ‘ Oxfam Australia’s experience of ‘Bottom-Up’ Accountability’ , Development in Practice, Volume 19, No 8, November 2009
- 2008 ‘ Guidance on M&E for Civil Society Programs’ , with David, R and Kelly L Prepared for AusAID Program Managers, AusAID
- 2006 ‘Organisational Assessment and Institutional Footprints’ in Alan Tomas , Joanna Chataway and Marc Wuyts Eds (1998) Finding Out Fast: Investigative Skills for Development Policy and Development , Open University Press – Updated from 1998 version
- 2003 ‘Impact Assessment and Disasters’, Chapter in World Disasters Report 2003, IFRC, Geneva,
- 2003 ‘Evaluating the Performance of Development Agencies’, with Linda Kelly in “Evaluating Development Effectiveness: Challenges and the Way Forward”, World Bank, Washington, D.C.
- 2001 ‘Middle Aged Man seeks Gender Team’ in Sweetman, C. Ed “ Men’s Involvement in Gender and Development Policy and Practice: Beyond the Rhetoric ’, Oxfam GB,
- 2000 ‘ Impact Assessment: Seeing the wood and the trees’ Development in Practice Vol10 Nos3/4,
- 1999. ‘ Impact Assessment for Development Agencies: Learning How to Value Change ’ , Oxfam Great Britain,
- 1996 ‘ NGOs, civil society and the State: building democracy in transitional countries ’ Development in Practice, Conference Report, Volume 6, Issue 3, 1996, Pages 270 – 271
- 1994 ‘ Operationality in Turbulence: the need for change’ , Development in Practice, Vol 4, Issue 3
- 1993 ‘An NGO Perspective on Food Security and the Environment: ACORD in the Sahel and Horn of Africa’, IDS Bulletin , Volume22, Issue 3, Pages31–34, Institute of Development Studies, Sussex
- 2016-18 Gender and Politics in Practice with the Developmental Leadership Program
- 2014 - Senior Research Partner with the Developmental Leadership Program
- 2013-14 Evaluation of the Central Land Council's community development and governance programs
- 2013 Partnerships and International NGOs with ACFID
- 2012-13 Co-convenor of the Big Push Forward Conference on the Politics of Evidence at the Institute of Development Studies, April 2013.
- 2012- Support to the Pacific Leadership Program’s monitoring and evaluation processes.
- 2010-12 Support to the Developmental Leadership Program and its partners on the Monitoring and Evaluation of programmes aimed to promote coalitions for change.