BA Hons (Monash), PhD (Cantab).
Membership of professional associations
Fellow of Australian Humanities Academy.
Area of study
Paul has worked extensively in the areas of early modern (ie sixteenth and seventeenth century) literature and Australian literature. He has done considerable practical and theoretical work in the area of scholarly editing, including four Oxford World’s Classics editions and two on-line editions. In the early modern field, he has published on women’s writing, prose fiction, literary and cultural history, and the intersections between literature, society and politics. In the field of Australian literature Paul has published on modern fiction, including two co-written analyses of contemporary Australian fiction co-written with professor Ken Gelder of Melbourne University, and a book on Elizabeth Jolley.
- Contemporary Australian literature
- Early modern literature especially scholarly editing, women's writing, cultural history.
CRA3SMI: Shakespeare and the Moving Image
- Edited After the Celebration: Australian Fiction 1989-2007 (Melbourne: Melbourne University Press, 2009), 292pp. [co-written – 50% - with Ken Gelder].
- Reading Early Modern Women’s Writing (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2006), 247pp.
- Literature and Politics in the 1620s: Whisper'd Counsells (Palgrave Macmillan, 2014)
- Mary Wroth’s Poetry: on-line edition, biography and critical introduction: http://wroth.latrobe.edu.au
- ‘Travelling or Staying in: Spain and the Picaresque in the Early 1620s’, Yearbook of English Studies 41 (2011).
- ‘Essays’, in The Oxford Handbook of English prose1500-1640, ed. Andrew Hadfield, 2013.
- Paul Salzman and Marion Wynne-Davies, eds., Mary Wroth and Shakespeare (Routledge, 2014).
‘Henrietta’s Version: Mary Wroth’s Love’s Victory in the Nineteenth Century’, Rosalind Smith and Patricia Pender, eds., Material Cultures of early Modern Women’s Writing (Houndmills: Palgrave Macmillan, 2014).
‘Me and My Shadow: Editing Mary Wroth for the Twenty-First Century’, Katie Larson et al., eds., Rereading Mary Wroth (Aldershot: Ashgate, 2014).
‘Love’s Victory and As You Like It’, Paul Salzman and Marion Wynne-Davies, eds. Mary Wroth and Shakespeare (New York, Routledge, 2014).
‘Mary Wroth’s Poetry’, Margaret Hannay et al., eds., Ashgate Companion to the Sidneys (Alderhsot: Ashgate, 2015).
- Sarah C E Ross and Paul Salzman, eds., Editing Early Modern Women (Cambridge University Press, in press).
English Prose Fiction 1558-1700: A Critical History (Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1985) reprinted 1985, paperback edition 1986.
The New Diversity: Australian Fiction 1970-1988 (Melbourne: McPhee Gribble, 1989) [Co-written - 50% - with Ken Gelder].
'Helplessly Tangled in Female Arms and Legs' : Elizabeth Jolley's Fictions (St Lucia: University of Queensland Press, 1993).
Literary Culture in Jacobean England: Reading 1621 (London: Palgrave Macmillan, 2002).
- Nineteenth and Twentieth Century editors of Renaissance texts
- Shakespeare in Australia 1788-1945
- An on-line edition of Mary Wroth’s Love’s Victory.