- Introduce students to the context in which analytics fit within an organisation.
- Gain an understanding and knowledge of how to capture, organise and manage data in order to support an organisation’s analytical initiatives.
- Acquire knowledge of basic methods and techniques of analytics.
- Acquire knowledge of advanced techniques of analytics, including how to apply analytics in various practical scenarios.
- Understand and acquire knowledge and skills to translate business requirements into actionable outcomes through data.
- Gain skills in the use of Enterprise tools, including SAS, R and Python.
- Specialise in a vertical industry domain to contextualise the Analytic skills of students
- Gain industry experience through completion of industry sourced analytic projects
Master of Business Analytics
Course code/s: LMBAN
|Course Coordinator||Dr Kok-Leong Ong|
|Available to International students||YES|
|Course duration||2 years full-time, or part-time equivalent|
|Leave of absence available||Yes|
Current students: ASK La Trobe
Prospective students: Future Students
The Master of Business Analytics is a specialised degree that aims to equip students with the relevant data analytics and business skills to solve the complex problems of modern businesses. The course is multi-disciplinary, drawing upon knowledge and skills in business, statistics, computer science, and soft personal skills such as communication and critical thinking. The course will cover foundation and advanced business analytics by using state of the art industry tools to show case the application of the knowledge and skills in practice. The course will also have a strong industry presence to ensure that students are kept abreast of the latest development in this field.
Course Intended Learning Outcomes
The Master of Business Analytics is a two-year full-time program (or its part-time equivalent), studied in English, requiring the successful completion of 240 credit points of study. The program comprises coursework and may include a minor thesis if students elect to complete a specialization using the four electives within the course.
- All subjects are worth 15 credit points.
- The subjects are listed in the preferred order of study. You must complete all prerequisite subjects prior to enrolling in a core or elective subject.
- This degree is designed to be completed within two years of full-time study or part-time equivalent for non-cognate students
- LTU0AIM is a not-for-credit subject that students are required to complete at the commencement of their first semester. The subject is designed to enhance the students' knowledge and awareness of issues concerning academic integrity.
To assist with planning your enrolment, download a PDF copy of the study plan guide here: Master of Business Analytics (LMBAN) City Campus 2019
|Sustainable Management & Marketing||Introduction to Accounting and Finance||Business Information Management||Principles of Business Analytics|
|Statistics for Business and Finance||Predictive Analytics||Visual Analytics||Data Wrangling and R|
|Data Warehousing and Big Data||College of ASSC level 5 subject as elective (15cp)||College of ASSC level 5 subject as elective (15cp)||College of ASSC level 5 subject as elective (15cp)|
|Customer Analytics and Social Media||Analytics in Practice||Analytics Project 1||College of ASSC level 5 subject as elective (15cp)|
La Trobe Business School Post Graduate Electives
For a listing of all elective subjects offered by the La Trobe Business School, please refer to La Trobe Business School postgraduate electives.
To assist in your elective choice, we have grouped a number of elective subjects under Elective Discipline headings. You may wish to select all or some of the electives from the Elective Disciplines provided below.
You may use the four elective subjects available within the course to complete a sports specialisation.
|LST5RLS (WK 25-29) Risk Management and Law in Sport|
|MGT5SLB(WK 12-13) Sport Leadership and Governance|
|MGT5MSB (WK 28-31) Managing the Sport Brand|
|MGT5MSG (WK 42-43) Managing Innovation for Sport Growth|
|WK = Weeks|
You may use the four elective subjects available within the course to complete a marketing analytics specialisation.
Note - these marketing subjects are only delivered from the Melbourne Campus .
|MKT5MMA (S1 & S2) Marketing Management|
|MKT5ACD (S1 WK11-20) Advanced Consumer Decision Making|
|In addition,choose two from the following list|
|BUS5PR2 (S1, S2) Analytics Project 2|
|MKT5AMR (S1,S2) Applied Market Research (Not offered in 2019)|
|MKT5CRM (S1, S2) Customer Relationship Management|
|MKT5IMM (S1, S2) International Marketing Management (Not offered in 2019)|
Data Science Specialisation
You may use the four elective subjects available within the course to complete a data science analytics specialisation.
|CSE4OOF (S1, S2) Object-Oriented Programming Fundamentals|
|CSE4DBF (S1) Database Fundamentals (Not offered in 2019)|
|CSE4IOO (S1, S2) Intermediate Object-Oriented Programming|
|BUS5PR2 (S1, S2) Analytics Project 2|
|S1 =Semester 1, S2 = Semester 2, WK = Weeks|
Note: Teaching periods are provided as a guide only and subject to change. Please refer to Subject Search guide for further details.