What's Happening to the Uyghurs in China?
A panel discussion on China and ethnic minorities
- Friday 07 December 2018 12:00 pm until Friday 07 December 2018 02:00 pm (Add to calendar)
- La Trobe Asia
9479 5414; email@example.com
- Presented by:
- La Trobe Asia and the Australian Institute of International Affairs (AIIA) Victoria
- Type of Event:
- $5.00 - $20.00 depending on category - see booking site
In the Chinese region of Xinjiang, tens of thousands of ethnic Uyghurs and other Muslim minorities have been detained inside enormous extrajudicial ‘re-education camps’.
China claims the region faces a serious threat from Islamist militants and separatists, stirring up tensions between the mostly Muslim Uyghur minority and the ethnic Han majority. After months of denial, the Chinese government now claims these camps are benign vocational training centers, but many outside observers assert that they are little more than prisons where detainees are subjected to political and cultural indoctrination without legal recourse.
As more allegations come to light about the treatment of Uyghurs and other ethnic minorities, China faces mounting pressure from international human rights groups, governments, and academics to provide access to these camps and put an end to any coercive and illegal practices.
Speaking at this important panel on Uyghurs in China and how the world should react are:
- Nury A Turkel (Uyghur Human Rights Project)
- James Leibold (Associate Professor, Politics, Media and Philosophy, La Trobe University)
- Louisa Greve (Uyghur Human Rights Project)
- Euan Graham (Executive Director, La Trobe Asia) (chair)
Date: Friday 7th November
Venue: Dyason House, 124 Jolimont Road, East Melbourne
A light lunch will be provided from 12:00pm and registration is requested to assist with catering.
This event is co-hosted by La Trobe Asia and the Australian Institute of International Affairs (AIIA) Victoria
Dyason House, 124 Jolimont Road, East Melbourne
124 Jolimont Road, East Melbourne
Other events by type
6th May 2019 10:00am
- Australia’s defence diplomacy in Asia: Academic adventures on board HMAS Canberra
23rd May 2019 1:00pm
- Business Builder Workshop Mildura
23rd May 2019 9:00am
- Human rights engagements with economic inequality at the UN
23rd May 2019 12:30pm
- The Wihu Singing of the Tangshang / Tangsa Naga
27th May 2019 5:30pm