Using Narrative Work with Indigenous Families
This live streamed course, presented by The Bouverie Centre, provides a practice-based introduction to using narrative therapy and other creative processes with Indigenous families. You will get to explore the principles, philosophies and concepts underpinning the narrative approach.
- Thursday 27 October 2022 09:30 am until Thursday 27 October 2022 04:00 pm (Add to calendar)
- The Bouverie Centre
- Presented by:
- Alison Elliott, The Bouverie Centre
- Type of Event:
- Seminar/Workshop/Training; Public
- $220 (GST incl)
This live streamed course provides a practice-based introduction to using narrative therapy and other creative processes with Indigenous families. You will get to explore the principles, philosophies and concepts underpinning the narrative approach.
This course includes practical experiential exercises which enable you to practice these skills in a supportive environment and get a feeling of what it might feel like from a client/family perspective.
Counsellors, therapists, case managers and health and community workers who are interested in exploring the use of this model for their work.
On completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Understand the theory and philosophy behind narrative therapy, including what makes a session a narrative one, ‘the problem is the problem not the person’, narrative politics and ethics towards client and worker, local versus expert knowledge and promoting a person’s preferred story.
- Describe the core concepts of narrative therapy: externalising the problem, and building the new preferred story.
- Adapt and identify the range of creative processes and activities and apply these to make them relevant for your workspace and families you work with.
27 October 2022
9.30am to 4.00pm (AEST)
What you can expect
- A full day interactive program
- The application of Narrative Therapy theory using practical and engaging activities
Note: To participate fully, some art materials will be required. This list will be sent to you closer to the course date.
Related Training and Support
Other events by type
- Socioecological perspectives to wellbeing in the perinatal period
7 Dec 2022 12:30 pm
- LaTrobe Digital Health Community of Practice Event: Real World digital health tools – improving patient care
7 Dec 2022 12:00 pm
- Clinical Educator CPD webinar | What can Allied Health Education learn from Medical Education?
8 Dec 2022 2:00 pm
- Living with Disability Research Centre Seminar
14 Dec 2022 3:00 pm
- One of the lasses? Attitudes to trans inclusion and safety in gender-based violence support services
15 Feb 2023 4:00 pm