20 Years of Street Fashion
- Friday 12 October 2018 until Sunday 27 January 2019 (Add to calendar)
- La Trobe Asia
9479 5414; firstname.lastname@example.org; www.latrobe.edu.au/asia
- Presented by:
- Japan Foundation, Sydney in partnership with La Trobe University
- Type of Event:
- Exhibition; Public
Tokyo comes to Melbourne this summer with an exhibition of photography from Japanese street style magazine FRUiTS as photographed by influential street fashion photographer Shoichi Aoki. This exhibition at La Trobe University’s Bundoora campus follows from Tokyo FRUiTS held at the Japan Foundation, Sydney in 2017.
From colourful decora to neo-goths and cyber-punks, influential street fashion publication FRUiTS magazine told stories from Harajuku, the creative centre of Tokyo fashion. Developed in 1997 in response to Harajuku’s bourgeoning experimental street fashion boom, FRUiTS documented the colourful and fun identities of Tokyo’s youth culture.
Twenty years on, the palette of street fashion has evolved to a simpler aesthetic, with a more globalised influence, and the FRUiTs publication drew to a close. Tokyo FRUiTS maps the myriad of trends and multiple identities of Tokyo fashion from 1997–2016, through a selection of FRUiTS street snaps by its creator, photographer Shoichi Aoki.
The official opening took place on Tuesday 16 October
Presented by the Japan Foundation, Sydney in collaboration with the La Trobe Art Institute and La Trobe Asia at La Trobe University.
Writer's Block Cafe
Borchardt Library, La Trobe University, Bundoora
Other events by type
6th May 2019 10:00am
- Unmaking the Himalaya: Geopolitics, Environment, Citizenship
26th Jun 2019 12:30pm
- Living positive in Queensland through the eyes people living long term and those recently diagnosed with HIV
26th Jun 2019 12:00pm
- The Thousand Tongues in the Heart of Asia: Indigenous Languages of the Himalayas (Sydney)
27th Jun 2019 6:00pm
8th Jul 2019 10:00am