The future of enhancement: Drugs, gender and sexuality
A half-day forum, presented by the Drugs, Gender and Sexuality Program and the BBV Program, ARCSHS
- Friday 25 October 2019 01:00 pm until Friday 25 October 2019 05:00 pm (Add to calendar)
- Emily Lenton
- Presented by:
- Australian Research Centre for Sex, Health & Society
- Type of Event:
- Conference; Forum/symposium; Public Lecture; Seminar/Workshop/Training
- Free (Bookings required)
This half-day forum of social science research and practitioner and consumer feedback will explore the nature and politics of ‘enhancement’ as it relates to drug consumption practices, gender and sexuality. The forum will include scholars working in sociology, critical drugs studies, gender, sexuality and trans studies, and health professionals and practitioners. It will present innovative research that contributes to current debates and research agendas on performance and image-enhancing drugs, pharmaceutical markets and lifestyle practices, the constitution of gendered and sexual identities and harm reduction.
The forum will also include the launch of a new report based on the findings of the Social Studies of Addiction Concepts’ ARC-funded study into men’s use of performance and image-enhancing drugs in Australia. The forum will involve a discussion of the implications of the research findings and recommendations, and will invite thoughts on how new perspectives on enhancement might inform future research and professional engagement with consumers.
- Professor Suzanne Fraser (ARCSHS, La Trobe)
- Dr Dean Murphy (University of Sydney)
- Dr Kiran Pienaar (Monash University)
- Dr J. R. Latham (Deakin University)
- Dr Renae Fomiatti (ARCSHS, La Trobe)
- Dr Beng Eu (Prahran Market Clinic)
- Kay Stanton (Your Community Health)
plus more to be announced.
We invite researchers and professionals working in policy, health and consumer advocacy to attend.
La Trobe City Campus
360 Collins St, Melbourne
Other events by type
- Relaxation & Meditation Sessions
7th May 2020 2:00pm
- Webinar: Breakfast at Noon - Michelle Gallaher, CEO at Opyl
9th Jun 2020 12:00pm
- Online event: Using Camtasia to record and edit video
9th Jun 2020 1:00pm
- Will the future of planning change due to the pandemic?
10th Jun 2020 8:30pm
- Introduction to H5P (ONLINE)
10th Jun 2020 12:00pm