Statistics and Mathematical Modelling in Combination Conference 2022
Taking place in Melbourne, Australia
- Wednesday 16 November 2022 09:00 am until Friday 18 November 2022 05:00 pm (Add to calendar)
- Rebecca Chisholm
- Presented by:
- La Trobe University
- Type of Event:
- $150 Full; $75 AustMS/AMSI Affiliate Member; $50 Student/Unemployed
Hosted by La Trobe University, this conference will take place on 16-18 November 2022 in Melbourne, Australia.
It will precede the biennial Forum Mathematics for Industry FMfI2022 to be held at the same location 21-24 November 2022. A link with more information about the Forum will appear here soon.
About the conference
Deterministic modellers and statisticians have a lot to be gained by working as a team in which both types of approaches are used. The combination of statistics and classical dynamics has long been a fertile field, tracing back to statistical mechanics from the end of the 19th century and stochastic differential equations from the 1920s. The need to combine the two modelling approaches has never been greater and neither has the opportunity for affordable high-performance computation. During the COVID-19 pandemic, agreement has been found between agent-based models and differential compartment equations in modelling infection numbers. Each approach gives confidence to the other, and this suggests scope for new hybrid models.
Other relevant areas include:
- Model identification from a set of output data
- Inverse problems to determine transport coefficients from noisy data
- Evolution equations with uncertain model parameters
- Transport in random media
- PDE for financial derivatives based on fluctuating stocks
- Stationary distributions of ergodic dynamical systems
- Boltzmann equation based on statistical dynamics
- Transport in fractal media
- Complex systems in ecology and economics
- Probabilistic interpretation of deterministic Schroedinger equation
- Professor Hugh Possingham FAA (QLD Chief Scientist)
- Professor Michael Stumpf (University of Melbourne)
- Professor Jukka Corrander (University of Helsinki)
Other speakers will be added as they are confirmed.
La Trobe University's City Campus - Level 2, 360 Collins Street Melbourne, 3000
Enquiries may be made to: R.Chisholm@latrobe.edu.au.
360 Collins Street, Melbourne, 3000
Other events by type
- La Trobe Rural Health School Research Conference 2022
14th Jul 2022 9:30am
- HSI 2022 15th IEEE International Conference on Human System Interaction
28th Jul 2022
- 20th Annual Mental Health Mini-Conference
11th Oct 2022 9:30am
- Statistics and Mathematical Modelling in Combination Conference 2022
16th Nov 2022 9:00am